• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Looking for a few bales of straw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't need to tell you anymore, you know everything. The herbicide residue can be in the ground at planting time and the wheat can take it up without damaging it. But will still have effect on non grass crops. Good day.
The herbicides that you won't mention may or may not have a residual still present at harvest time it depends on which ones. Some farms will have zero chemicals sprayed on them during the growth season, although extremely rare in Oklahoma. Every no-till operation will, every conventional farmer that gets behind will have a farm sprayed on occasion.

Some how you went from "Sprayed before maturity to have less weed seeds when harvested." which is what I questioned, to
"The herbicide residue can be in the ground at planting time and the wheat can take it up without damaging it. But will still have effect on non grass crops".

Herbicides on a crop work on a growing plant, broadleaf plants aren't growing during the fall and winter.

In 2013 a variety of wheat developed at OSU called DoubleStop was released. It was created (not GMO) to work with the herbicide Beyond + MSO. It's used to knock out cheat grass, goat grass and rye infestations. Even though those are all grasses like wheat, the DoubleStop variety isn't effected by that herbicide. It costs $60 an acre to plant plus chemical application 2x, which is pricey so it's seldom seen. Any other grass herbicide will not only kill the unwanted grasses in your wheat, it will kill the wheat too. That's why "Sprayed before maturity to have less weed seeds when harvested" doesn't happen. Nobody is out there spraying Roundup on their wheat before harvest lol.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up persistent herbicides, it doesn't have to be sprayed near harvest time.
the only thing i can find that might fit your point is picloram, picloram, and a few closely related products would hardly ever if ever be used in fields on a farm due to the same reasons you don't use those chemicals in your gardens, farmers and gardeners have the same goal, growing plants,

picloram has long term effects, my 1,200 gallon chemical applicator was guaranteed picloram free, picloram can stick in rubber hoses on sprayers and kill legumes and other plants most farmers and gardeners like to grow.

about the only users of picloram are cities utilities government etc.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
the only thing i can find that might fit your point is picloram, picloram, and a few closely related products would hardly ever if ever be used in fields on a farm due to the same reasons you don't use those chemicals in your gardens, farmers and gardeners have the same goal, growing plants,

picloram has long term effects, my 1,200 gallon chemical applicator was guaranteed picloram free, picloram can stick in rubber hoses on sprayers and kill legumes and other plants most farmers and gardeners like to grow.

about the only users of picloram are cities utilities government etc.
No, lots of hay producers use it. It will still be in the hay and manure . Graze cattle on wheat fields that was fed hay sprayed, Still going to have it in the field even if never sprayed. I really don't care if anyone believes it, it's a proven fact.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
One of the new self propelled balers.
20220616_171248.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom