Looking for hunting rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not looking to spend a ton on a rifle. I'd like to get one I can take straight off the store shelf & to the range to sight in then out hunting. Whats your opinion of the Remington Model 770's from BassPro. I'm looking at the Whitetail Pro models that come with a scope for about $350. I just cant decide between weather to go with a .270/.243/.308 or 30-06, any feedback on these rifles or which caliber would be best suited for my purposes. I check ammo costs & if shooting the Remington ammo its $20 a box for all the above listed calibers, so shooting cost seems to be equal across the board.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of those calibers would be adequate for deer hunting around here. All have been used for years with success.

I've only owned one 770 I can remember right now and it was in 300 mag.
Shoot plenty good and had no real problems with it.
I traded it off a few yaers ago because of the mag recoild being a bit too much.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was lookin on Academy's site & noticed the Savage Axis .243 Winchester Bolt-Action Rifle for $280 without scope, BassPro Savage rifles went through the roof price wise once above .22 caliber.

I'm guessing since I'm on such a budget I probably need to go look through Sportsmans World inventory then too huh, they usually have some competitive pricing from what I hear but have no inventory online to search.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tikka is a little more, but you'll never have to buy another rifle. I went from a 300wsm to a 243 and have never looked back. If this is going to be your only rifle for everything maybe even elk, then get a 300 but for Okla. a 243 will do all you want.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get into a Rem 700 ADL at Academy for $380+tax. At least you could last week. I picked one up in .308. At that price I couldn't pass it up.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1, Rem 770 is junk... Rem 700 ADL/SPS is a good starter rifle. Tikka and Howa's are decent. The upper echelon Savages are getting rave reviews. Take a look at the new TC bolt rifles. If you're really constrained on a budget, look at the CVA's. Yes, they're lacking in some areas, but they shoot straight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom