Looking for some advice on New Mexico elk hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys please help. I am wanting to book a quality trophy bull elk hunt in New Mexico or maybe Arizona. My only problem is I have never went with an outfitter. I am really lost in trying to find a good one since they all claim to be the best. My question is has anyone ever used one in these places and would you recommend them for me to try?

Please help guys!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What size Elk do you consider trophy? Tomahawk outfitters in New Mexico near Eagles Nest put a bowhunter on a 380" bull. Of all bulls harvested the average was closer to 310" (IIRC).

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is all in what you consider a trophy?? NM will be a lot easier then Arizona because you can purchase a landowners tag.

If you want the highest odds at a huge bull then you need to go to the Gilla's and find a guide around there. Unit 16's

If you want to just get on say a 300" bull then a unti like 52 would work well for you. Lots of elk, just not giants.

My personal preference is unit 34. Great Bulls 340-360" range and great numbers of elk. As for Guides, do research and make calls for references.

Land owners tags can be costly though. Depending on the unit. Archery tags will average $1500-$5000. That is just for the okay to by the tag. Then it will be $550-$775 depending on the designation of the unit for the tag. I have found LO archery tags for $400 days before the archery season started though.

I have no idea what guide fees run as I hunt DYI.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fishfurlife - I do not know of anyone that would pass up a chance at a 320" bull. Tomahawk Outfitters has an excellant reputation and he only removes a few quality bulls/yr. Sdane if you REALLY are interested in some help getting a good bull then send me a PM. I have hunted this ranch for 14 years. I will see if I cant post a picture of a set of sheds that were given to me by the ranch owners 2 weeks ago.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here ya go Deerslayer.

image-2378192809.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you Dennis for getting the pics up. I wasn't quick enough for Deer Slayer. I will go ahead and post a bigger sized pic.
i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_Georges_shead.jpg

Sdane, like fishfurlife and I asked. What is your opinion of a trophy elk? Like Deer Slayer and I have said, Tomahawk Outfitters have pretty good odds of getting you on a 310-340 class bull, with potential for bigger. I have not used this outfitter as the January Cow Elk hunts, I participate in are not associated with an outfitter. However, Tomahawk has leased all the Bull hunts on the ranch I have hunted cow elk on the last 2 years. I have seen some very quality bulls during my cow elk hunts. http://tomahawkoutfitters.com/photo-gallery/elk

Latest posts

Top Bottom