Looking to buy my first AR15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegadethreads

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks to Fatboy tactical for a very fair offer. Luckily I had a friend who hooked me up with an awesome deal on a new LE6920SCMII and it on its way. Now I move to the optics decision. Thanks for everyone's help.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This question gets asked so much there ought to be a sticky to address it.

First and most important question is this.
What role will this tool serve?

Never understood this analogy.IMO The only decision is barrel length, then Barbie it up with what you like. The Beaty of a 16 inch carbine Ar is it will do it all. Home defense? Hunting? Three gun? Now if your going to be shooting out past 400 yards more than anything, you might consider a 18 inch barrel. If it is going to set next to the bed and be primarily a home defense weapon, you might consider a shorter 10-12 inch barrel. If your going to do all of these things, go with a 16 inch barrel. As far as the rail, I would always say put the longest rail you can on it.

Bottom line is the best choice is a 16 inch barreled Ar15 for its versatility.
Then accessorize it the way you want.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you are going to be looking through the sight with a NVG then the T1 is overkill. The H1 will give you the same durability specs, except the type of anodizing and stock base mount. The former is a wash and the latter wont apply because you will be swapping out the mount to use on an AR any way. I used one for a long time, and beat the piss out of it. Just like every other Aimpoint I have owned it laughed at me and asked for more.

Like the decision to on what AR to buy, you should 1.identify the need, 2.then the budget, then 3.proceed. If you thought the options for the AR platform was overwhelming, just wait until you start looking for an optic. The search will be far less painful and expensive if you follow the flow chart 1, 2 then 3.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you are going to be looking through the sight with a NVG then the T1 is overkill. The H1 will give you the same durability specs, except the type of anodizing and stock base mount. The former is a wash and the latter wont apply because you will be swapping out the mount to use on an AR any way. I used one for a long time, and beat the piss out of it. Just like every other Aimpoint I have owned it laughed at me and asked for more.

Like the decision to on what AR to buy, you should 1.identify the need, 2.then the budget, then 3.proceed. If you thought the options for the AR platform was overwhelming, just wait until you start looking for an optic. The search will be far less painful and expensive if you follow the flow chart 1, 2 then 3.

+1

I went with the H1 over the T1, it's on the larue mount. Saves a few bucks.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on your decision to get an AR. I'm guessing you're a person that will customize you're AR to suit your tastes, because you know it's difficult to get the AR you want out of a box. Since you're in Tulsa, visit Fat Boy Tactical to check out their custom AR builds.

Renegadethreads

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may take a look at a few Aimpoints. I have used the Eotech before. Looks like it's not much more for the T1 over the H1. Are you guys talking about the LT660 when you say Larue mount? That looks pretty tall!

Latest posts

Top Bottom