Lower velocity loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Sig (9mm), would run on powder puff loads. My Glock not so much. You may very well find that doing what you describe will result in different loads for different guns.

And thats EXACTLY what this experiment is about. Custom loads for different guns and finding out the differences for each. There may even be differences between guns of the same make and model, but I want to use guns of different manufacturers to see how much they would vary.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot to add. After I got home and unpacked everything, I inspected the brass. There were no signs of over pressure, denting or any kind of damage.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And now we have another development that I wasn't expecting. I loaded a box of 50 rounds with 3.5 of Titegroup and set them aside. I just now attempted to load with 3.0 and my Dillon Powder measure won't go that low. I'll have to dig out my old RCBS measure and load the powder the old fashioned way.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Bullseye only in my 5" 1911. The lowest I go is about 3.5 grains when it is hot outside. Normally I load 3.8 grains and when it is really cold outside up to 4.4 grains. These loads are with a 200 gr lswc, and a factory recoil spring, about 16 lbs I think.

Most of the time when you read about bullseye shooters changing springs they have mounted some kind of scope on the pistol.

I too, have heard about detenation in lightly charged cases. I have also heard that alot of people tried to duplicate this and couldn't. I think it was determined an overcharge was at fault. I have used down to 2.7 grains of Bullseye with a 148 grain wadcutter in .38 special with no problems.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to the range this morning with my 3.5 Titegroup loads. NONE of the slides of the guns cycled. They were all single shots. Recoil was like shooting a .22. I had to rack the slide to get the cases to eject. None of the bullets stuck in the barrel. Tomorrow I'll take my S&W 625 revolver to the range and see how they shoot in it.

My next project will be to see which load is more accurate. The 4.0 or the 4.5.

Latest posts

Top Bottom