M&P .40 vs Sig P226 .40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREGO

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In terms of owning one or the other, which of the two do you folks feel will offer the best durabilty, toughness, etc...

The alloy frame of the sig vs the polymer of the m&p?

Overall opinions?

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In terms of owning one or the other, which of the two do you folks feel will offer the best durabilty, toughness, etc...

Overall opinions?

I have never held or used the Sig but I have owned several M&P's and have nothing but great things to say about them. I have shot 1000's of rounds through mine and only had a few jams (ammo related). Other than that no problems and the gun still looks new. Im sure someone will chime in with their experience with the sig but I give the M&P a :thumb:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Overall opinions?

Hands down the Sig - and I say that not just as a fanboy, but having owned two M&Ps.

The M&P after some gunsmithing is a fine gun, but from the factory, they have a less-than-desirable trigger with a false-reset click that makes you think its been reset when in fact, it hasn't.

It also has a very steep unpolished feedramp that if you are using aggressive hollow-points the slide will not seat into battery if you slowly ease it forward - and while I can't think of a reason to ever do this, or why it would be an issue if you slingshot it like you're supposed to - it still doesn't give me an easy feeling (I've slingshot mine less than hard and had it not completely return to battery).

Sigs aren't perfect - and a lot of folks have a problem with getting used to that first D/A trigger pull, but after some practicing with mine - I love it and the higher bore-axis hasn't ever made it less accurate or harder to acquire the target to me.

If you're looking for less malfunctions out of thousands of rounds, my money is on the Sig. If you're looking to drag one around in the mud or really use it hard without cleaning it, my money is still on the Sig.

If you're dropping one out of a building or running over it with a car - get a glock?

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say the SIG. The M&P would have the same trigger pull everytime which would differ from the SIG unless you got the DAO with I don't really like. If you can find one with the SRT you will LOVE it. Very short return and very fast follow up shots. My sig is the most accurate pistol I've ever had or fired.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both are great guns. Both are very reliable. They are also very different.

Do you want the same trigger pull each time? Or do you want a DA/SA trigger?

The Apex sear will fix the trigger and reset issues on the M&P.

The best way to find an answer is to shoot both and decide which you like best. After owning a HK P2000, a SIG P226, and a P228, I came to the conclusion that I highly prefer striker fired and SA triggers. So for me this would be an easy choice for the M&P. Other shooters prefer DA/SA triggers or DAO triggers like the HK LEM or SIG DAK. The only way for you to know which you prefer is to test them out yourself.

Good luck! Figuring out which platform works best for you is half the fun! ;)

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my M&P. Never shot a Sig so I'm not much help. If you want it for looks I like the sig. I like the ergonomics of the M&P over the Sig. My roommate has a Sig p226 I believe. Go to H&H and shoot them both. Then go to outdoor america and buy whichever one you decide on.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm wormydog's roommate and mine is astually a 229, essentially the same firearm but mine has a 3.9 in barrel and about 1/2in off the grip. It is also the elite stainless model so it has the wood grips that make it a bit thicker. I really like wormydog's M&P especially the ergonomics, but I would never get rid of my sig. It is accurate, I have never had a jam in the 1000 or so rounds I've fired from it and I would trust it with my life. When I first started looking for a pistol, I intended on getting a M&P, but when I found this sig, I had to have it. Granted it was a $1000 gun, but I love it!

ai921.photobucket.com_albums_ad56_257wby1911_photo4.jpg

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie...I love Sigs. Other than a nice 1911, they are my favorite. So obviously the 226 is going to get my vote. That being said, the M&P is a good pistol and I've considered getting one.

What are you going to use it for? Carry or home defense/range gun?

Carrying the aluminum Sigs is no problem...but it might be slightly less durable than the M&P, and that's a big might. The steal slide eventually wears the aluminum frame. However, very few people will ever shoot one enough for this to be an issue.

If you aren't going to carry it, go with a stainless Sig and durability won't be an issue.

For me Sigs feel better in the hand, point better and are more accurate. All of mine have been 100 percent reliable, I've had no problems with the finish/rust, etc...There are quite a few good deals on used Sigs that are in great condition, which I prefer over the newer models. I've never spent more than $500 for a Sig, and two of those were CPOs.

GREGO

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of curiousity...would you guys say that a glock is the best middle ground between the P226 and M&P. The glock has a proven track record..like sig, it is higher capacity polymer like the M&P etc...

??

Latest posts

Top Bottom