M&P decesions.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhollie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
looking at the entire M&P line...........is the pro version worth the extra money? 4 or 5 inch barrel? seems like the 5 inch would tame the recoil slightly more making it more accurate.......there are cheap trigger upgrade kits but for the standard models but everyones seems to like the stock trigger on the pro and the standard is acceptable..... they all have good reviews....

id like to get into competing eventually and this seems like a good one to start with overall.... but for now just want a nice, fun 9mm shooter.
thanks.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go with the Pro if you want something for matches. I got one when they first came out and it has been a super pistol.

Later on you can do the Apex upgrades if you like.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy the fullsize M&P and put the Apex parts in. The apex trigger is better than the pro trigger.

This is correct. And the standard trigger on the M&P is actually pretty good. The reports on grittyness is WAY overblown, and if you did have any it will smooth out after a 100-200 rounds shot/ trigger pulls. It's the reset IMO that is the weakness. But that can be easily fixed as well.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of matches are you talking? I'm guessing you mean USPSA. So now what division are you talking?

If you are talking production go with a 9 Pro. You can't do any better than a 9 Pro IMO. :D

If you are talking about limited you can go with a 40 Pro, but IMO, you are going to be at a disadvantage to all the 2011 race guns (limited is race guns without optics or comps). I mean there are those that do well, but they just can't get back on target as fast and aren't quite as accurate. If you are on a budget the .40 Pro is an option for limited, just not the best one.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go with the Pro series and the Apex Ram. If money is plentiful, then consider the Apex competition trigger. I shot my Pro for 4000 rounds this way before finally converting.

bhollie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
so i could get the regular 5 inch M&P and do the apex trigger kit thats $159.00 and have just as good of a gun?

or are there other differences in the pro that are actually worth $200 more?

thanks

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so i could get the regular 5 inch M&P and do the apex trigger kit thats $159.00 and have just as good of a gun?

or are there other differences in the pro that are actually worth $200 more?

thanks

The Pro does have a better trigger feel due to a different sear and it has better sights. So get the Regular, do the trigger job and replace the sights and it's probably close to a wash but you'd get to pick the exact sights you want and will end up with a slightly better trigger. Either way works.

bhollie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
with the police discount from buds i can get the 5" Pro for $459.00 but they are always out of stock...... thats the best price ive ever seen on it...
the regular 4" version is $399.00 from buds police side to $425.00 from CDNN.... and they do have those available...
if the pro was available id probably go with that since i would rather have the 5 inch version........ not in a hurry but its tempting to buy the standard 4 inch and FSS trigger kit and be in one for around $600 bucks
would get it faster etc,,,, but if i wait i can get the 5 inch pro for a slight difference......

Latest posts

Top Bottom