M1 Carbine Value?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lstdonsldr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need a little help here. I just got a rifle, and am trying to determine its worth. I have a new Blue Book, but am wanting to double check. Here's what I Got:

It is an Inland General Motors M1 Carbine. It looks to have the original all wood stock
On the barrel it reads: "INLAND MFG. DIV. / GENERAL MOTORS / 6-44"

The Serial Number is on the Right side of the Sight, Above the serial it says: "I.R CO" and then has a low 7,000,000 Serial. (so it was made late in the war)

It has a rear adjustable sight and No bayonet Lug.

If I told you what I paid, you'd be upset. I am looking to see how much it is worth. Thanks for your help

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need a little help here. I just got a rifle, and am trying to determine its worth. I have a new Blue Book, but am wanting to double check. Here's what I Got:

It is an Inland General Motors M1 Carbine. It looks to have the original all wood stock
On the barrel it reads: "INLAND MFG. DIV. / GENERAL MOTORS / 6-44"

The Serial Number is on the Right side of the Sight, Above the serial it says: "I.R CO" and then has a low 7,000,000 Serial. (so it was made late in the war)

It has a rear adjustable sight and No bayonet Lug.

If I told you what I paid, you'd be upset. I am looking to see how much it is worth. Thanks for your help

FWIW, the marking you refer to on the right side of the sight, is actually just the part # for the rear sight. The rifle serial # should be on top of the receiver behind the rear sight.

Hard to say what it's worth without knowing condition, presence of import stamps, and whether it really does have original stock (highly unlikely) etc...

CMP was recently selling Service Grade Inlands for $495 and is currently accepting orders for Rack Grades at $419 so any pricing would have to be in line with that.

lstdonsldr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Only Stamp I can See anywhere is on the inside of the stock where the sling goes, there is a "J'. the condition seems to be very good. I'd rate it at a 98% or so... The stock looks original, but no tellin..

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Only Stamp I can See anywhere is on the inside of the stock where the sling goes, there is a "J'. the condition seems to be very good. I'd rate it at a 98% or so... The stock looks original, but no tellin..

Post some pics up if you can....

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The contract manufacturer name will be under the rear sight. The earlier rear sight design did not obscure the ID like the later sight did. You'll need to know this as certain contract carbines are more rare than others. The barrel markings won't mean much since most were rebuilt after the war and thus became a hodge-podge of parts. Are there any import markings on the barrel?

lstdonsldr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i will post pics tomorrow morning, camera is charging.
Right under the rear sight, it says "Inland Div" and then has a bunch of dots under that.
The only other markings I can find is a small "P" on the barrel, and an "LP" Right in front of the Trigger on the bottom of the gun.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm....so no serial number after the "inland div"? That's odd. Definately post pics if you can, especially of that area...behind and under rear sight.

I've heard of some imports having a dot-matrix serial # added to them, but haven't heard of those import serial #'s obscuring the original #.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"J" is the code for Inland on the stock. Do you know anything of the history on this particular carbine? It *may* be a GI footlocker take-home or it could be an arsenal rebuild. You really have to study it to know all the parts, types, etc. that were used over the war years. Each contractor had their own code that was stamped on every part. If a carbine is totally unmolested with all the original parts they can be worth a serious chunk. Inland, however, was one of the most common and therefore not as valuable as some of the other contractors'. I'm by no means an expert on them but know enough to be dangerous. ;-)

To totally drool over some rare carbines, check out http://home.att.net/~ra-carbines/carbines.html

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the lack of a bayo lug makes it earlier or it escaped rearsenal

Its also fairly easy to change that out too. I have two Inlands, both of which are CMP's, low wood stock, one is a potbelly for an M2 configuration, and barrel dates match with serial number of rifles. So there hasn't been any swaping there. All other parts are Inland, except the potbelly stock, its one of the Italian stocks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom