M1 Garand Loads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also recall that either the basic Federal American Eagle or Remington UMC 150gr FMJ loads were M1 gas-system safe. I think it was the Federal load, but it'd be worth a call to them before shooting a bunch of it.

Federal does make a 150gr FMJ specifically for the Garand. Box even say "For M1 Garand" on it.

[Broken External Image]

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ideal ammo for the garand whether off the store shelf or reloads is going to be as close as possible to the old M-2 ball they were designed to shoot.
Basically a 150 gr @ 2800fps.
As already stated by several, bullets over 168 gr and slow burning powders such as 4350 are to be avoided. Especially combinations of both.
Most commercial 150 gr ammo is only loaded to 2800fps and should be ok, some of the premium stuff is much hotter.
Your favorite 06 ammo you might use to elk hunt, say Federal 180 Nosler that you shoot in your 700 Rem would be a bad idea in your garand..
Get your loading manual out, follow the recipe for a 150-168 gr load at 2800 and have fun!

pdcrig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not use Remington UMC or Winchester white box through your M1. The proper medium burning rate powder is not used in those loadings. I know, I've called them. The only Federal load you can use is the M1 specific Federal Eagle. Hornady makes an M1 specific load as well. The only other M1 compatible load I know of is Black Hills' 168gr AMax. I'm not sure if anyone else out there manufacturing an M1 load. Do the research on the right ammo and enjoy shooting your rifle for years to come.

tdmoparguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been using the HXP M1 ammo and I've been saving my brass to reload. I know the commercial ammo will bend my op-rod not really wanting to mess with the gas plug deal. Just wanted to know some recipes you guys were using that works in yours.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'v just cleaned up a couple hundred of the greek surplus, bought a rcbs
x-die to cut down on the trimming. The greek will need its primer pockets swaged as well before you load it. Hornady has some load data as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom