Magazine Capacity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimmuburger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My CZ-52 has an eight round clip. At that, it only looks 3/5 full. Is it a bad idea to pop another round into the clip? Would a different spring be neccesary, or is this just a generally bad idea?

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well there has to be room in the mag for the compressed spring. If you can get another round or two into it, and it functions properly in the gun, I say go for it. But I suspect that you'll meet increased resistance as you try to push another round into it. If you do, don't force it.

BravoOne

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No expert, but if you go this route be sure to test it on the line first ESPECIALLY if this is your carry piece...

The additional rounds IMHO may cause it to have chambering issues with the additional tension on the spring due to the slide not being able to strip the round from the mag & into battery...

Just my $.02...

Dimmuburger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, opinions are basically what I'm looking for here. There isn't that much more resistance sticking another round in the mag, but I'm totally ignorant about such things (but since I know I'm ignorant, it's ok...), and so I wanted a few opinions better informed than mine. Also, the spring is obviously not completely compressed when the mag is loaded. Is it normal for the mag spring to not be fully compressed?

That said, I just love this gun. It feels serious in the hand, is loud as crap, throws two feet of flame, tosses the brass twenty feet, and the ammo is dirt cheap and powerful. I got it from my dad in a trade, and it's in GREAT shape - super clean inside. I plan on juicing it up a little (teflon coating, grips, make it more lefty friendly, and maybe a better sight), and will post the results if I do.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In general, springs have a long life if they are not compressed beyond their elastic limit. The $64 question is what is the elastic limit of the spring the the CZ magazine, and I don't know. All else being guesswork, I guess I'd go with the designer's judgement and load 8?

BravoOne

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.....Is it normal for the mag spring to not be fully compressed?.....

Nearly every magazine for every weapon I've ever handled could probably squeeze at least one more round into it... Doesn't mean I would... I could probably cram one more into my G19 not gonna happen, but I probably could...

The springs are designed with one purpose: to feed the weapon it's numnums... And only a specific amount of tension (rnds in the mag) is recommended for reliability sake...

.....All else being guesswork, I guess I'd go with the designer's judgement and load 8?

:werd:

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In general, springs have a long life if they are not compressed beyond their elastic limit. The $64 question is what is the elastic limit of the spring the the CZ magazine, and I don't know. All else being guesswork, I guess I'd go with the designer's judgement and load 8?

Exactly. Springs wear out slowly from being flexed. They die quickly from being stretched, and they die not so quickly, but prematurely, from being compressed beyond their design limitations. Additionally, the added tesion on that last round will probably make it hard for it to be stripped out of the mag when loading the pistol, so reliabiity may be compromised.

In general, departing from design limitations is almost always a bad idea. CB

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its not really about the spring so much as other factors.
The reason the extra space is there is because it is needed to load the magazine into the gun with the slide closed.
When you insert the mag into the gun with the slide closed the top cartridge
is pressed down by the bottom of the slide.
Therefore if the mag was completely full with no "give", either the mag catch wouldn't work or the pressure would cause the floorplate, follower,spring and ammo to come flying out of the bottom of the mag and most likely ruining the mag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom