Magazine Size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an FNAR .308 with a 20rd magazine.

The hunting guide on page 17-18 says "Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven rounds of ammunition. "

Does this mean I'm okay with my large mag on the .308? Hope so bc a five round mag for that thing is like $60.

Sent from atop the throne in the last stall using Tapatalk 2 for Android.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an FNAR .308 with a 20rd magazine.

The hunting guide on page 17-18 says "Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven rounds of ammunition. "

Does this mean I'm okay with my large mag on the .308? Hope so bc a five round mag for that thing is like $60.

If you are intending to use the rifle to hunt with I would ask a GW himself about that. To me that is like when hunting dove ducks and such. Yeah my shotgun can hold 5 shells but if I only put 3 in I am ok. I know for a fact that you will have a ticket with that thinking. You have to have the plug in there.

So if your hunting with it I would think you better get that 5 round mag or find a way to limit the mag to only holding 5 rounds. I don't know if that mag can be taken apart but maybe you can take a small dowel rod and but with the spring in mag to only let so many rounds into the mag. A pencil may work also. I used to use an un-sharpened pencil in the shotgun. Worked pretty good on that old Winchester 20ga. kept ya from having to take the spring out and all to pull the plug.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Magazine restriction is only for .22 caliber centerfire and only during deer season.

I believe some of the basis of only .22 is because of the spray and pray guys likely wounding deer with the smaller caliber and continuing to shoot. The .308 is more likely to knock a deer down and the spray and pray will stop.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Magazine restriction is only for .22 caliber centerfire and only during deer season.

I believe some of the basis of only .22 is because of the spray and pray guys likely wounding deer with the smaller caliber and continuing to shoot. The .308 is more likely to knock a deer down and the spray and pray will stop.

This^

But if you're up to a fun project, cut some dowels and make a physical plug for the mag. An even more fun project is soldering empty cases together, in the correct space/pattern to create a top plug. But like they said, you can hunt deer with a full .30 mag

headhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I contacted the Wildlife Department about this very subject a couple of weeks back and they told me no limit on magazine capacity on the 308 semi automatic. I wanted to be crystal clear before going to the field.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its an archaic law brought about by some legislator after the AR's were starting to show up in the field.

You can use a 60 round mag in your AK, or your .308, 6.5 Grendel, or any thing other than my .22-250 AR, or the .223/5.56. Then I'm restricted to a 7 round mag.

I've talked to the NW supervisor of Game Rangers, Tracie Daniels, and he told me to leave it alone, as if it comes up for discussion in the legislature again, they might restrict the other calibers.

Fair warning.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is good to know. I'm normally a waterfowl guy and plan to give deer hunting a try. Already the numerous tags and crap you have to buy for the "hope" of getting one is ridiculous. I didn't want to ad a $60 magazine to the cost of trying something new.