Makarov Info.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makfan89

New to the site!
Reaction score
Can anybody give me more detailed information on makarov pistols.
(e.g. comparisons between Bulgarian, Russian, East German, and Chinese; any personal experiences with maks and any thoughts on reliability and value.)

Much appreciated.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In addition to makarov.com, this forum has very knowledgable folks on it:

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?46-The-Makarov-Forum

About the East Germans being heavier, um . . . no. I once disassembled four Maks, one from each country of origin, mixed the parts at random, and fired all four. No glitches.

I have been messing with these for several years, and own a bunch. If you ever need parts I have them, but they won't be real cheap because I don't want to sell out of something I might need later.

The EGs usually have the best fit and finish, and usually have the best DA triggers, though any Mak can easily be tuned to have an excellent DA trigger.

There are more Bulgarians than any other kind, and they are excellent weapons. If you find one for $200 or under, grab it immediately. They seem to be nudging $300 pretty often now.

The darned things are habit forming, and the 9x18 round is what the .380 would like to be. For those who think the Mak is a Walther clone, PPKs, etc. have over 40 parts. The Mak has 27.

One very good idea is an aftermarket recoil spring from Wolff Springs at 19 or 21 pounds to replace the stock 17 pound spring. Cuts the distance brass is thrown from 25 feet to under 20 feet, and supposedly is gentler on the slide.

These are blowback pistols, but are about the easiest blowbacks to operate because the spring is not overpowering like most others.

I have a couple which I have converted to .22, and one in .32NAA which is a real hot little number. I often carry a well worn EG in an IWB holster, and one sleeps pretty close to me all the time. I do not have any of the import guns with the "target sight." The rear sight on those has been called the "flesh eating sight."

I won't try to tell you I know everything about these, but I do know a bunch. Oh, if you find a book on Makarovs by Walton Cudde, just say no. It's got a bunch of inaccuracies, though by his own admission Cudde is an excellent writer . . . If you can find a copy of the translation of the EG manual by Karl Bloss, grab it. Karl originated makarov.com, but has closed his sales operation. Happily he has left his very valuable site up.

Learn to detail strip your Mak. No semi auto pistol is easier. If you have any problems with your gun, PM me and I can probably help. CB

afterthought--just below the Mak forum is a Mak trader. Watch that for values and for the occasional bargain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom