Is this sharpener any good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not fancy on sharpening, but found this one at a garage sale and thought I would give it a try. I can't find much info on the Google about it. Any insight/value/information on this kit would be appreciated.

IMG_20220909_064618.jpg
IMG_20220909_064624.jpg
IMG_20220909_064629.jpg
IMG_20220909_064633.jpg
IMG_20220909_064642.jpg

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought an early version of this sharpener, seems like thirty years ago. I dont recognize that piece with the spring steel clip on it? The clamps did help me learn to achieve more correct, even bevels on my blade edges. Mostly on small pocket knives, <3". Around a 400 grit stone, then 1000 grit, then leather stropping seems to be adequate for most knife edges. General use. Starting out, I'd suggest working on short, straight blades. Maybe paring knives. Forgive me if that's painfully obvious, no offense meant. For those just starting to learn.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought an early version of this sharpener, seems like thirty years ago. I dont recognize that piece with the spring steel clip on it? The clamps did help me learn to achieve more correct, even bevels on my blade edges. Mostly on small pocket knives, <3". Around a 400 grit stone, then 1000 grit, then leather stropping seems to be adequate for most knife edges. General use. Starting out, I'd suggest working on short, straight blades. Maybe paring knives. Forgive me if that's painfully obvious, no offense meant. For those just starting to learn.
No offense taken at all. I'm the kind of guy that usually runs my knife through a cheap smiths pull through. The instructions are not super clear and probably are not complete so ANY information is appreciated.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No offense taken at all. I'm the kind of guy that usually runs my knife through a cheap smiths pull through. The instructions are not super clear and probably are not complete so ANY information is appreciated.
Those pull thru sharpeners, ceramic rods, sharpening steels and diamond sticks are only for honing, I’ve found. To me there is at least three levels of blade edge improvement. Setting/establishing the bevel size and angle desired, best done with the most coarse abrasive that you’re comfortable using. Usually done on a new blade with the usual unsatisfactory edge, or on a used blade that you are going to improve. The higher, steeper the bevel, the better it slices when finished. Grind the bevel down until an easily felt and seen burr rolls over the opposite side of the blade. Perform same operation on the other side. The second level of sharpening is to change to finer abrasive surface. I’ve been going from 400 grit to 1000 grit diamond steel. A sharpener I found on Amazon.com with a rubber footed clamp that holds its position pretty well, while stroked the knife blade across the 3X10” surface. Same routine on the 1000 grit as you just did on the coarse surface. Smooth that bevel out, one side at a time, get burr rolled over one side, then the other. Then finish the stone (or diamond) stroking alternating sides, one careful stroke on the left, same on the right. The feel and the wisp sound will guide you. Don’t know how many times you should continue that, ten, twenty, more? Try the angle chop, lightly into your thumbnail, from the base of the blade, to the tip. If it catch’s, tries to cut all the way down the edge, that may be your sign. Third level is honing. I’ve been having good results with leather stropping. First on the inside, rough out side of your strop. Then on the smooth side to finish, careful to strop at the bevels angle. Bevel flat, drawing the edge away from the strop surface, alternating sides. This will polish the bevel towards mirror finish, possibly. The more polished the bevel, the more refined the edge. It is a worthy endeavor in my view.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep pretending that I can put an edge of a bowling ball but I've been full of it my entire life. Ha. I can get'em sharp but nothing like my dad could do with a pocket stone that had a swoop in it from use.
I've bought a number of stones of different grades and strops but have never found the one that worked for me. Getting that bevel angle.
Suggestions????? Not a fan of the fixed sharpeners that you just run your blade through or maybe those are good for pocket and hunting knives I just don't use them right. My bro inlaw is a barber that still gave straight razor shaves till last year. That guy could put an edge on a ball bat with just his strop.
Someone do a tutorial on sharpening a pocket/hunting knife.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I keep pretending that I can put an edge of a bowling ball but I've been full of it my entire life. Ha. I can get'em sharp but nothing like my dad could do with a pocket stone that had a swoop in it from use.
I've bought a number of stones of different grades and strops but have never found the one that worked for me. Getting that bevel angle.
Suggestions????? Not a fan of the fixed sharpeners that you just run your blade through or maybe those are good for pocket and hunting knives I just don't use them right. My bro inlaw is a barber that still gave straight razor shaves till last year. That guy could put an edge on a ball bat with just his strop.
Someone do a tutorial on sharpening a pocket/hunting knife.
These are no-brainers IMO. 👇 👇
https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/benchtop/manual/guided-field-sharpener/
Worksharp makes the Benchmade one too. They're just different colors.

https://www.benchmade.com/guided-field-sharpener-afe77d28014024825633639e10d0021d.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom