Making 223 bullets from 22 rimfire cases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May I suggest you look into Richard Corbin's RCE Walnut Hill presses. I believe they are stronger than the Dave Corbin "S" press, and a bit lower cost, the last time I checked. Richard's web site is http://rceco.com/. With either press, you will have a much better setup than using a standard reloading press. Some advantages to using one of these purpose-build bullet swaging presses are:
1. They have at least twice the mechanical advantage of the biggest reloading press.
2. They are built tougher out of high tensile strength steel instead of Cast Iron or Aluminum.
3. The swaging presses are built to much closer tolerances, which will produce more uinform bullets.
4. The swaging die is attached to the RAM instead of the frame. This alows the bullet ejector pin to automatically eject the bullets as the RAM is lowered, instead of you having to take an additional step of using a separate tool to eject the bullet like you would have to do with a reloading press.
5. Expecially with the RCE press, the Dies are larger in diameter, especially in the threaded portion, which greatly increases their strength over the smaller diameter dies that are necessary to fit a standard reloading press. Bullet swaging can create tremendous pressures, which has been known to split thinner dies.

You can make 30 caliber (and other size) bullets out of copper tubing using the Corbin or RCE press using special copper tubing jacket maker dies, or you can buy already made jackets J4 Jackets from Berger bullets, or you can purchase the legendary Sierra jackets (or at least they used to sell them). If you want to draw your own jackets from flat stock, I think you are going to need a hydraulic swaging press. Both Corbin and RCE make hydraulic presses.

As far as being worth your time and money, that depends upon who you ask. If you want the satisfaction of knowing you can make your own jacketed bullets from commonly found raw materials such as spent 22 cases, copper tubing from the hardware store, and scrap lead, then yes it is worth it. If you just want cheap bullets and do not want to make the effort and spend the time to "roll your own", then it is definitely not worth it.

When you swage your own bullets, you have an infinite range of weights and styles to select from. For example, you can make a bunch of 171.2 grain 30 caliber hollow point bullets, or you can work up a load incrementing the bullet weights in half-grain increments just like you would do with powder. Who knows, in a bench rest competition you might find that perfect weight bullet, that is just not sold commercially, which gives you the slight edge you need to win the match.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Woodcutter, I'm in to making the bullets for my own pleasure, and for sure not for the cost. I went out to the RCE site but can't find any info on the
hydraulic press. If I go into this in a bigger way, I would like to invest in the hydraulic press so I can do virtualy any of the operations I want to get into later.. Blitzfike

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think 6.5 would be do-able as well. I might look into that, I have a 6.5 swiss that I love to shoot. When I run out of surplus ammo I will be looking for a cheap source of bullets for it. We have been converting the berdan primed cases to boxer primers for about four months now, using a 3/8" ball bearing to swage the primer pocket in. I go back into the pocket with a swage to get it to the right diameter.

Do you mean 7.5 Swiss? Or 6.5 Swede?

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love Swede Mausers. Just to get an idea of how time vs. cost of making your own jacketed bullets, how many do you think you could average making 6.5mm bullets? I want a overall average, doesn't have to be a single session. You may make jackes for 2 hrs one day, cores for an hour the next and swage for 1 1/2 the third or whatever.

Woodcutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went out to the RCE site but can't find any info on the
hydraulic press.
Blitzfike

They call it the HydraSwage press and it is found here:
http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=HSpress

Quote from that page:

"The RCE, LLC HydraSwage hydraulic bullet swaging press is built for the professional bullet maker who wishes to produce a high quality product as a full time business.

The HydraSwage press is able to swage bullets up to one inch in diameter and up to two and one-half inches long. The press can also extrude lead wire, reload standard ammunition and large caliber ammo like the .50 BMG or 14.5 mm Russian, and draw bullet jackets from strip."

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually make 500 at a time on the 223s, I haven't really broken out the actual time for the complete operation. I wash and anneal the fired 22 rf cases, then I iron out the rim to make the tube, next step is to run them into the sizing die to uniform them for the 223 diameter, then I cast the cores, then run them into the die to make them one uniform size and weight. finally I place the cores into the jackets, press them in to the bottom of the jacket with a pin, and then lube and run into the final die that makes the pointed ogive bullet. Each of those operations I do on the total number that I plan to make. With the 6mm bullets, I would have to have a different die to swage the cores to the correct weight and diameter for the 6mm product, a die to expand the jackets to 6mm and I would have to have a die for making the final bullet. I'm holding off buying any more equipment until I recover from these surgeries. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom