Man accidentally shoots self, woman during high school graduation...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
at least it's not in Oklahoma

A man carrying a concealed pistol in his sock accidentally shot himself in the foot and injured a woman during a graduation ceremony in Kansas Sunday.

The 37-year-old man, whose name was not released, brought a "small automatic handgun" into Augusta High School's Hillier Stadium, the Wichita Eagle reported.

"It was in his sock," Augusta Director of Public Safety Tyler Brewer told reporters Sunday. "It was being uncomfortable for him. He went to adjust his sock. The weapon went off (and) struck him in the foot."

The bullet ricocheted and struck a woman sitting under a media box about 50 feet away, Brewer said.

Both of the injured people were taken to a local hospital with injuries that didn't appear to be life-threatening.

Brewer characterized the accidental shooting as a "knucklehead situation," The Associated Press reported. It is illegal to carry a gun on school grounds.

Brewer told the AP he expected to present the case to prosecutors to determine whether any charges would be filed against the man.

The commencement went on as scheduled.

Man accidentally shoots self, woman during high school graduation

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man! I wouldn't want to be in that guy's shoes (no pun intended). They are gonna sue him down to his underwear.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any small automatic I've ever handled has a really long trigger pull. How in the heck did he make it go off is what I don't understand. Must have had some knee high socks....lol...

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
It gives gun owners a bad name for sure.

But I still can't help reading this, and thinking that the problem isn't that there was a gun at a school, but that someone was irresponsible/criminal with a gun.

IE, should be no charge for "Possession on school grounds" but rather should be charged with "gross criminal negligence" and "public discharge of a firearm" and if she chooses to do so, "assault with a deadly weapon".

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
in today's announcements:
"A University of Texas Police Department officer unintentionally discharged a weapon this morning in a secure area at police headquarters. He was taken to the hospital for non life-threatening injuries. The incident is under investigation pursuant to standard police procedure. There is no public safety danger related to this incident."

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It gives gun owners a bad name for sure.

But I still can't help reading this, and thinking that the problem isn't that there was a gun at a school, but that someone was irresponsible/criminal with a gun.

IE, should be no charge for "Possession on school grounds" but rather should be charged with "gross criminal negligence" and "public discharge of a firearm" and if she chooses to do so, "assault with a deadly weapon".
Assault would require intent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom