Marine Corps Plans To Get Rid Of “Yes Sir” Over Gender Neutrality Concerns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_0552.JPG

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is something I’ve been thinking about for a long time. I spent 22 years in the Navy (most of which was spent with the Marine Corps). I still call everyone Sir or Ma’am. It’s ingrained in who I am. It doesn’t matter how young or old someone is, I still say it. Now I always feel I’m going to unwittingly offend someone. We have so many “genders” now, nobody knows what to call anyone. So, I was thinking. Other parts of the world have respectful greetings that don’t have anything to do with age or gender. Why don’t we?
I say this because I made the mistake of calling a female “Sir”. She had a baseball cap on and looked like a dude. Then I had a guy in a dress come up to me (had a full beard) and I called him Sir. Both people were very unhappy. I think we have to, at some point, realize we are living in a changing world. (And no I’m not a liberal. I’m a conservative that’s getting older and trying to respect others without losing my own morals).
Not that I agree about a change to gender specific greeting that have worked well for hundreds, if not thousands, of years, but what would you suggest as a 'neutral' form of respectful greeting for both male and female individuals/persons/entities . . . things?

Last edited:

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
China and Russia promoting masculinity and dominance and we promote this. Our elected Republicans are failing us...letting us lose the country as long as they have their money and comfort. Washington, King, Mandela, Gandhi, etc, all willing to go to prison to stand up for what they believed was right. Ours just go on FOX for a quick soundbite, and the liberal assault on America continues moving forward.
“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.”
An excerpt from "A Pillar of Iron" by Taylor Caldwell depicting the spirit of ancient Rome in its last days of glory. The hero of the story, the man called "a pillar of iron" is Marcus Tullius Cicero, the lawyer-statesman who tried vainly to save the republic he loved from the forces of tyranny.

America has been over run. Nary a shot fired in defense. History.....learn from it; repeat it; or, die from it.

Mr. Makowski, 10th Grade World History, was right after all.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is something I’ve been thinking about for a long time. I spent 22 years in the Navy (most of which was spent with the Marine Corps). I still call everyone Sir or Ma’am. It’s ingrained in who I am. It doesn’t matter how young or old someone is, I still say it. Now I always feel I’m going to unwittingly offend someone. We have so many “genders” now, nobody knows what to call anyone. So, I was thinking. Other parts of the world have respectful greetings that don’t have anything to do with age or gender. Why don’t we?
I say this because I made the mistake of calling a female “Sir”. She had a baseball cap on and looked like a dude. Then I had a guy in a dress come up to me (had a full beard) and I called him Sir. Both people were very unhappy. I think we have to, at some point, realize we are living in a changing world. (And no I’m not a liberal. I’m a conservative that’s getting older and trying to respect others without losing my own morals).
Because some fools jump off cliffs, does not mean you have to follow. It can be quite entertaining watching them jump and "offending" snowflakes, gender confused, and America haters. Stay your course. "In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is not a serious suggestion for a "neutral form of respectful greeting for both male and female individuals/persons/entities . . . things", to replace currently used greetings like 'ma'am', 'Sir'. 'Miss', 'Mrs.'. 'Ms', etc. as was being asked by HMCF(FMF)Ret in his interesting comment.

Simply pondering about certain possibilities in an exercise of mental gymnastics does not equate to embracing those same possibilities. It IS an interesting question about what form of neutral gender greeting could be used to replace what has been in place for so long. I would be interested in hearing what serious replacement possibilities (if any) pop-up.

Last edited:

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is not a serious suggestion for a "neutral form of respectful greeting for both male and female individuals/persons/entities . . . things", to replace currently used greetings like 'ma'am', 'Sir'. 'Miss', 'Mrs.'. 'Ms', etc. as was being asked by HMCF(FMF)Ret in his interesting comment.

Simply pondering about certain possibilities in an exercise of mental gymnastics does not equate to embracing those same possibilities. It IS an interesting question about what form of neutral gender greeting could be used to replace what has been in place for so long. I would be interested in hearing what serious replacement possibilities (if any) pop-up.
It’s funny that they have gender neutral respectful greetings in other countries. That’s one reason I thought it was strange that we don’t.

Latest posts

Top Bottom