Marines Choose 9mm Glock 19 OVER .45 ACP 1911 for Special Operators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/ar...over-45-caliber-pistols-for-special-operators

I don't know quite yet how I feel about this ..not that it makes any more difference now than my opinion counted back then either. I was on active back in the day when the powers-that-be forced the Beretta M9 on us and took away our .45's...but we whined and cried and lamented and wailed and lo and behold, they brought 'em back to selected units, such as Force Recon. But that's another story...

You see, for awhile there, MARSOC had both the Glock 19 and the Colt .45ACP from which to choose. But I betcha logistics ruled out here as much as anything, and the USMC has decided to go all in with the Glock 19 for MARSOC operators. Life goes on...(sigh). I guess if anything can do the job of a real combat pistol as well as the old 1911 did for so long, it is the Glock 19; it is after all, a damn fine combat handgun.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do they get to run hollow points? If so, the decision makes some sense. If not, I would think a bigger hole is better.

GLOCKS are cheap, simple, and reliable. If I were in charge of ordering several thousand sidearms, I might go that way too.

Even though they're not my favorite (I shoot other brands better), they work.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do they get to run hollow points? If so, the decision makes some sense. If not, I would think a bigger hole is better.

GLOCKS are cheap, simple, and reliable. If I were in charge of ordering several thousand sidearms, I might go that way too.

Even though they're not my favorite (I shoot other brands better), they work.

I take it that YOU didn't get asked for your input either then huh?

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.452 isn't that much bigger than .355

True. But the cost of the Colt .45ACP as compared to the cost of the Glock 19 is much bigger. So is the cost of ammo to feed these two pistols for training and combat. Parts on hand; that's another logistical matter. There is much of the same rationale for replacing the .45ACP 1911 pistol NOW with a 9mm pistol as was used back in the mid-eighties when the Beretta M9 was selected to replace the 1911. One big difference though is then, the SIG P226 was almost the pistol chosen; the Beretta beat it on total price of delivery. Now, with the SIG finding that it has been pulled out of the holsters of many in the SpecOps community in favor of the Glock 19, and the Glock 19 taking the slot in place of the Colt .45ACP, it sure looks like Glock has seized the lion's share of the market.

Wonder what will happen now with Colt?

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I will add my 2cents about Colt. Colt has been on the bubble of going the way of the dinosaurs for years. One can state all kinds of reasons but the facts are the facts. While I for one will mourn when they close their doors and someone buys the name, they haven't been a real player in the gun market. Military contracts are really the only thing that kept them afloat. Again it will de a sad day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom