For all you Glock Operators . . . .Marines not happy with new 1911 design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL. Excuse me; I'm just an ignorant old retired Force Recon Marine...I can barely operate a simple pistol design, much less spell. I just don't like anybody dissing the military in general or Marines especially, unless they have been or are one if us. He isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Preach it, Jarhead.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What? You think these MARSOC Marines can't operate a 1911?

Has nothing to do with what I "think"...... I didn't post or write the article and I couldn't care less about Faux news. Take it up with them. I though it was interesting that all of a sudden there's a problem after several decades of off and on use.

Now to the kneejerk, hollier than thou rhetoric.....I said nothing that translates to "dissing the marines or the military in general".......I've got nothing but respect for those that have served.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People should know better then say anything that can be interpreted as a neg commit about Marines. We tend to take it personal.

My comments may not have been as politically correct as some would like, but I'm not burning a flag here in any way shape or form..... no matter who throws a hissy fit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I made the comment that training is lacking in pistol shooting if recruits are having issues with the beavertail safety.

In my time active and in reserves as a DI for the 95th training battalion, pistol training was likely one day of classroom, one day at the range, and then you were on your own.

I have no idea what current training in basic or AIT might be, but from gleaning comments on this forum from fellow veterans, pistol training is lacking in the current training.

Any input from current service members about this would be appreciated.

I'm not arguing that the 1911 is superior to the Glock or not. Just a valid discussion about how much training is involved using pistols.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on your MOS and where you do your duty at. We did not do any pistol training in Boot. My duty was at a Special Weapons base, so we did a lot of pistol training with the 1911.
GMT, I understand what your saying, but what most people don't know or understand is the Marine Creed. They drill it in your head, without your weapon you are useless. So any remark pertaining to lack of knowledge or skill is a huge insult.
The Marines are the only unit, that no matter what your job may be(cook, clerk, supply) your first job is a Rifleman. No other military does that.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GMT, I understand what your saying, but what most people don't know or understand is the Marine Creed. They drill it in your head, without your weapon you are useless. So any remark pertaining to lack of knowledge or skill is a huge insult.
The Marines are the only unit, that no matter what your job may be(cook, clerk, supply) your first job is a Rifleman. No other military does that.

Fair enough.

To clarify, if SOME (not ALL per the article and my comments) Marines all of the sudden had problems with the AR platform after years of use.... what would ANYONE objectively say?

Last edited:

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure about now, but way back then (late 60's) no other branch spent a whole week "snapping in" prior to a week on the range. Nonquals were treated rather harshly :yikes2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom