Mauser Dilemna

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the deal. I recently purchased a German Mauser k98k bnz 42 in 8mm. I am going to refinish the stock andmaybe even re-blue it. It started out going to be a restoration project and now Im leaning torwards making a rifle I can take hunting. The dilemna begins with finding the proper scope/rings. Again, orignally I was going to go with a reproduction/original mount and scope, however after looking at the prices and availablity I am lost on which route to take. Should I have rings put on it and mount a modern scope on it when Im putting it back together or what? Just opinions please, don't bash my pick of rifle, I've been wanting to do this for awhile.....

Rocketguns

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the serial numbers all match (and I mean everything: Bolt, Receiver, stock, butplate, baseplate and such) do not do it. It is worth more as a complete rifle. If it is a mis-match of parts then go for it. There is a gunsmith course at Mid-America Technology Center (Payne, OK). The gunsmith machine shop course teaches you how to rebuild / rebarrel rifles like those old Mausers, and the instructor IMOP is very good. If you are not in any hurry and would like to learn how it is done than I would recomend that route.

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The action is VERY clean. It is not even close to numbers matching (only the action and stock match). I feel that it would operate flawlessly, however I do plan on dressing it up a bit. Cant hardly beat the price of these things, and once there dialed in, extremely reliable.....

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember that the the bridges of the receiver need to be aligned, otherwise the scope will be off and you will not get it to zero. That is the layman's term s it was explained to me several years ago. job for a good smith, problem is there are not a lot left. Might check with R&S in Moore.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were me I would just enjoy the mauser as it is and purchase a modern huting rifle. I've built several Mausers and you'll more than likely be money ahead if you just purchase a rifle for hunting and leave the Mauser alone but that's just MY opinion. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom