Mauser Dilemna

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Yugo Mauser and have been wanting to scope it, but there is hardly no good cheap way of doing it. You can buy a new Savage or Howa rifle/scope package so cheap its probably best to leave the old gun the way it is, or get one of those mounts that fit in the rear sight and you can attach a red dot or a scout scope.

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were me I would just enjoy the mauser as it is and purchase a modern huting rifle. I've built several Mausers and you'll more than likely be money ahead if you just purchase a rifle for hunting and leave the Mauser alone but that's just MY opinion. Later,

Kirk

This would be true if the serial #'s were matching. However there are probably 10 diff serial numbers on this gun.....

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
speaking from a guy who has built 4 Mauser rifles into modern rifle you gonna spend more to convert it than to just get a modern rifle. Just cause your rifle was chaep don't think you will not sink a pretty good little dollar into it, a $75 Mauser action after it is said and done you'll have at least $150 - $200 bucks in it. Drill and tap for scope, forge or weld a new bolt handle on, lap the lugs, headspace barrel, refinsh all the stuff you ground on.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE Mauser rifles but I tell everyone that they would just be better off to get a modern rifle and go from there. Later,

Kirk