Mauser value ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help me with finding out the value on a Mauser K98 that I have. It was imported by TG out of Knoxville TN. Ser# is 7798 and hand engraved on all removable parts. MAnufacturer marks on the receiver look like CR and 41 for the date below. Excellent shape with Eagle/Swastika marks on all parts.
Anybody in the OKC area who can appraise it?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not in OKC and am not a Mauser expert, so my comments are worth what they cost you :) Pictures would help. Have any of the metal parts been electro-penciled with a serial number? Is there a serial number (not necessarily matching) on the lower left side of the butt stock, or a spot in the area that looks like it's been sanded? Does the stock have a shellac finish on it, or has it been stripped? If the answer is "Yes" to any of those questions, it could be a Russian capture ("RC" is the lingo) which would make it worth anywhere from $250 to $400, depending on condition. If any of the swastikas are pinged out (a punch applied to the marks), it's likely an RC. If there's no serial number on the left side of the butt stock, do the serial numbers on the metal parts all match (not just bolt and receiver)? If it's got an import mark on it, it's likely an RC K98, but if it's an older import, it could actually be a non-RC, which would be worth more especially with all-matching numbers. As for the manufacturer marks, are you sure it doesn't say "CE" instead of "CR"? "ce" (lower-case) is the code for J.P. Sauer and Son of Suhl, a major manufacturer of K98's from 1941 to '45. The "41" is the year of production, IIRC.

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not in OKC and am not a Mauser expert, so my comments are worth what they cost you :) Pictures would help. Have any of the metal parts been electro-penciled with a serial number? Is there a serial number (not necessarily matching) on the lower left side of the butt stock, or a spot in the area that looks like it's been sanded? Does the stock have a shellac finish on it, or has it been stripped? If the answer is "Yes" to any of those questions, it could be a Russian capture ("RC" is the lingo) which would make it worth anywhere from $250 to $400, depending on condition. If any of the swastikas are pinged out (a punch applied to the marks), it's likely an RC. If there's no serial number on the left side of the butt stock, do the serial numbers on the metal parts all match (not just bolt and receiver)? If it's got an import mark on it, it's likely an RC K98, but if it's an older import, it could actually be a non-RC, which would be worth more especially with all-matching numbers. As for the manufacturer marks, are you sure it doesn't say "CE" instead of "CR"? "ce" (lower-case) is the code for J.P. Sauer and Son of Suhl, a major manufacturer of K98's from 1941 to '45. The "41" is the year of production, IIRC.

Cant do pics.
It is an RC just as you described. Some of the eagle/swastika marks have a # stamped directly below them, others are untouched. The makers stamp is a CR. It is in excellent shape.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Walker, is this what your rifle's manufacturer code looks like?

awww.mausershooters.org_display_images_jr1259ce5.jpg

If so, it's a "ce" code. The tail at the lower left of each character throws off one's perception ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom