McConnell: Any gun proposals to take back seat ABCnews

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshua74133

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/mcconnell-gun-proposals-back-seat-140336079--politics.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell federal spending and the country's debt will dominate the congressional agenda for the next three months, and that debate about potential gun legislation in the wake of the Connecticut school shooting will take a back seat.

The Kentucky lawmaker tells ABC's "This Week" that lawmakers will wait to see what an Obama administration review led by Vice President Joe Biden might propose. McConnell says Congress will need to study any recommendations and then see what's appropriate to do.

But he says that over the coming months, nothing much beyond the country's finances will occupy the attention of Congress.

maybe we will have 3 months

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not according to this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/white-house-weighs-broad-gun-control-agenda-in-wake-of-newtown-shootings/2013/01/05/d281efe0-5682-11e2-bf3e-76c0a789346f_print.html

Timing is imperative

Obama’s advisers have calculated that the longer they wait, the more distance there is from the Newtown massacre and the greater the risk that the bipartisan political will to tackle gun violence will dissipate.

“This is not something that I will be putting off,” Obama said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” in an interview broadcast last Sunday.

At the White House meeting, Stanek said, “the vice president indicated that there was a very short timeline for him to get back to the president with his recommendations because the American public has a short memory.”

Already, three weeks after the Newtown shooting, gun-control advocates are growing impatient with a legislative process that is just beginning.

“As we get involved in these ad nauseam debates over the Second Amendment, our children are still at risk,” said Jon Adler, national president of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association. “Debating is not the action verb we need to protect our children.”

With the start of the 113th Congress last week, several lawmakers filed bills to address gun violence. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who co-wrote a 1994 assault-weapons ban that expired in 2004, plans to introduce legislation this month that would ban the sale or manufacture of about 120 firearms, including semiautomatic rifles and military-style handguns, as well as ammunition magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Obama's advisors can say what they want, but neither those advisors or the President himself have any say over what legislation gets scheduled for a vote, let alone even gets put on the schedule for debate/conference etc...

This is all posturing by the administration.

The next media cycle is going to be a bunch of flailing over the debt ceiling.

backspur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you guys are being too optimistic. Furthering gun control is high on the politician's list of the things needed to control this country. They have momentum from the Newtown tradgedy, they will not waste it. If we gun owners hesitate, we will lose this fight. I wish people would spend more time and money fighting the proposed AWB, and less of the same stocking up for it's perceived eventuality.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you guys are being too optimistic. Furthering gun control is high on the politician's list of the things needed to control this country. They have momentum from the Newtown tradgedy, they will not waste it. If we gun owners hesitate, we will lose this fight. I wish people would spend more time and money fighting the proposed AWB, and less of the same stocking up for it's perceived eventuality.

My thoughts exactly. They know that they have little time to play off of people's emotions. I see the lame stream media pushing this as well.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we're going to win this. Its been scary, but I always felt that further gun control measures were unlikely. If it hadn't been a tragedy involving innocent children, the push never would have gotten this far.

And is one of many reasons my foil hat is glowing.

joshua74133

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
congress is not going to push this as fast as Obama wants... there are bigger debates going on right now, one thing i know for sure is the debt ceiling WILL NOT take a back seat to gun control. if we default on our debts then forget gun control we have bigger fish to fry like another country calling our debt.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we're going to win this. Its been scary, but I always felt that further gun control measures were unlikely. If it hadn't been a tragedy involving innocent children, the push never would have gotten this far.

I never though BO would win a second term. I'm confident that a mag ban will happen, but that's the extent of what will come of it.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here is my opinion on the whole deal..

As long as you are distorted by the paranoia of the evil government trying to get you, you won't get the whole picture. If you are worried about taking your guns away then contact your elected officials via phone or email and TELL THEM how to vote. They are your representatives, lets them represent you before you call them commies...

With the exception of a few people whom are undoubtfully anti-american on a few topics.. :::FEINSTEIN, cough, cough:::

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Obama's advisors can say what they want, but neither those advisors or the President himself have any say over what legislation gets scheduled for a vote, let alone even gets put on the schedule for debate/conference etc...

This is all posturing by the administration.

The next media cycle is going to be a bunch of flailing over the debt ceiling.

Stop being all logical and "positive"...... this is OSA!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom