Media Blasting Cabinet Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought mine from Steve's Wholesale Tools in 2006 for $200 and probably have somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 hours of use on it now. It's rated for a 12.5 cfm @ 90 psi compressor. I first bought their 5HP compressor then found that one wouldn't keep up so took it back and they swapped it for the 80 gallon 2 stage Porter Cable unit. (Great service at Steve's!)
At the old house the blasting dust got all over the shop. I have a separate room for the blast cabinet at this new house & that's made a big difference. IMO, if you aren't buying a pressurized blast cabinet there's not a lot of advantage to paying for anything above the HF/Steve's Whls red $200 cabinet. They'll all leak dust and your shop vac connected to the cabinet will also. George Townsend Co. has some good replacement gloves for when your originals wear out. (buy a tube of ShooGoo to patch holes and they'll last longer) I never blast with sand due to the lung hazards associated with it. I use #10 glass beads.

I use my cyclone a lot as well, no dust in the shop at all, it doesn't leak. I use a dedicated dust collector for the cabinet, shop vac is part of your problem.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Understood but bead blasting is the only activity going on in the 10 X 6 room on the back of my shop. I wear a mask when working in there so I'm not concerned about the dust. I realize everyone has a different situation. For me, cheap tools that get the job done are a better fit than expensive tools that get the job done.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Skat Blast by TPS is what I was thinking of - thanks, folks! That shipping charge is a killer, though. $90 for the cabinet, $158 if getting the Vac-40 canister as well. That's 16% of the total price :shocked:

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I recently put the larger HF blast cabinet together used a lot of clear silicone to seal it up as I assembled it. I used loctite on every screw as well so it took a while to build. for the price im happy. It was 209.00 and then I used a 20% off coupon. Also HF has the media, got a 40lb aluminum oxide for less then 40.00 with another coupon. Every blast cabinet I have ever used had something that leaked...been in 4 different labs in 13 years and they all leaked. Fyi... Glass beads can be slippery on a tile floor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom