Meeting with Flight Instructor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago I started flight training for my commercial pilot certificate. I wasn't given an option on the flight instructor that was assigned to me - he was just assigned based on the availability I provided the flight department.

In that time, I've run into a few problems with him. I think much of it has to do with differences in personality and my receptiveness (or lack thereof) to his particular instructional methods. In my opinion, he is overly critical and frankly, at times, comes across as a prick. Also, I think a lot of his feedback could be saved until we're on the ground, not while we're in the air trying to focus on more critical things. I also feel like he's unclear in a lot of his instructions and feedback, then criticizes me for not doing what he wanted when I wasn't told to in the first place. Furthermore, I think a lot of his feedback is focused on technique rather than procedure, because he will correct me on things that I have been taught by other instructors earlier in my training.

I also think he might be insecure in his abilities, because one time we were debriefing when another instructor just happened to be in the room. While we were debriefing the maneuver, the whole time he was talking to me, he was actually looking at the other instructor, as if for re-assurance that what he was saying was correct.

I emailed him last night and told him I'd like to meet him on Monday afternoon to discuss some training issues I've been having before we get too much further into training. I'm not exactly sure how to start off the meeting or how to express my issues without seeming like I'm just slamming him.

I don't want to seem like I'm a drama queen, but at the same time, this is my instruction which I'm paying for, and if it isn't working for me, it's incumbent upon me to do something about it.

Have any of you experienced similar situations, and have any advice? Doesn't necessarily have to be from an aviation situation.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quoting you here -- " I wasn't given an option on the flight instructor that was assigned to me - he was just assigned based on the availability I provided the flight department."

If you have the option of switching, I suggest you state, unemotionally, rather exactly what you have said in your post. I suspect the response will not be unemotional, so be ready to keep your cool when the instructor loses his.

I will discuss this with someone who knows a great deal about flight instruction and the regulations relating to it, but it'll be several days before I'll see him. If he offers any guidance, I'll PM you. I'll keep an eye on this thread and hope for a positive resolution. Hang in there. There is no other field where you can be paid so little and abused so much as low time commercial flight operations, but if you persist you could eventually wind up with a real job.

You have no doubt heard the joke about the smelly guy who dumped the toilets on airliners. His social life was nil, but when advised to quit his job he said, "What? Get out of aviation? No way!" CB

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I understand your question - it wasn't about the appropriateness of changing instructors (i.e the what) - you are clear on that in your view - it was the "how" part i.e broaching the subject with him. If that's true then I'd say giving him honest feedback very much as you posted - minus the prick comment - but including that you are confused by how he seems to critique what you have been taught by other instructors and your concern is that he may be teaching technique as procedure.

He may not agree with you, he may get angry - that's on him but he may also listen and reevaluate how he instructs. If he is a military trained instructor then he should have thick skin after going through military mission debriefs. In my experience (flew F-4Gs and F-15Es for the USAF) flight debriefs were professional but were thorough - one needed thick skin and we didn't wear rank in the debrief (except in so far as basic courtesy but no covering mistakes due to rank, etc.)

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Flight instructors will always correct your technique, even if you are performing the maneuver to standard. Right or wrong that's the nature of the beast. That's just some thing you'll have to get used to. On the other hand, if you are having difficulty progressing, a change of instructor can be just what the doctor ordered.

As a professional officer I would not have stood for being belittled in my flight training. Mutual respect is the cornerstone of crew resource management. I particularly would not stand for disrespect from my IP if I were paying thousands of dollars for the training I was receiving. By this point you're well aware of the hazardous attitudes in aviation, you see them in your flight instructor to an extent. Regardless of what happens, be sure not to miss out on this as a training experience, because when you start getting paid to fly by someone you'll encounter these types of folks on your crew all the time. Good luck.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went through the same thing with a particular CFI while getting my private. An atmosphere of that sort in the cockpit diminishes the quality of instruction and can also lead to mistakes being made. I canned that guy and finished up with a CFI that was a joy to fly with, and I was much better off.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While working on my private pilot license, I fired 2 flight instructors. The last one while on the 3rd leg of a cross country flight in the air. It was my money and I wasn't going to give it to someone that made me uncomfortable and pissed me off. The third instructor I picked made flying fun. He was a retired FAA employee. Shop around, they are out there. I found that a lot of flight instructors hate instructing and are just putting up with student pilots while they are building hours. Find one that enjoys instructing.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are flying at OU not just out of Westheimer you might consider looking to your Chief Flight Instructor for some advice. It would go a long way to show you aren’t just being whiny. For what you are paying for those 40 hour blocks of time each semester you damn well have the right to quality instruction. I know from personal experience OU has a great program.

Unemotional and unbiased critique will be critical to growth. Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference when it’s yourself on the receiving end.

This much I do know, when you have a really good instructor you learn twice as fast. You have to find one you can work with.

O

okiea&p

I went thru thae same thing while gatting my private. I went thru 2 instructors, the third one stuck though, and I finished my private, instrument, and got almost thru my commercial with the same instructor. I guess we just clicked. Get a different instructor, I wouldnt worry to much about how this instructor feels, they dont seem to be to receptive to how you are feeling .

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is some good advice, above.

A really loooonng time ago, while working on my Private in a military aeroclub I had the to opportunity to fly with a CFI that was a substitute, as my usual IP was ill. This is pre-solo, 3rd or 4th flight with about 4-5 hrs dual time. He started off with a long, confusing dissertation on how a good landing is like being dropped 4 inches. HUH??? Then we take off and he puts me under the hood quite shortly after takeoff. Turn left / right to heading so-and-so. Climb to ***. In a few minutes he makes contact with the tower where we will do some pattern work. Descend to (altitude). Begin descent. Power up power down. 2 degrees left - 3 degrees right, reduce power - OK I've got it, and while I'm still under the hood he cuts the power and dives - so steeply that I'm weightless for 4-5 seconds!! I whip of the hood and see we are on a poorly executed short final to the runway. He pulls off a half-assed touch and go. On takeoff he tells me to take control and fly the airplane. I say that I've had enough; I'll pay for the flight and your time, but you have control and I'm telling you to RTB and land immediately. He RTBs, lands and taxis to the line and shuts down. After I pay the bill for about 0.8 Hobbs time, I take the club manager aside and tell him what happened. I then suggest that if it happened to me, it happens to everyone that the IP flies with.

Anyway - I never flew with him again.

In my experience, even today, IPs / check pilots / examiners are either really good or really bad. 99% are really good. Don't tolerate a bad IP or check airman or examiner. It is YOUR money!!! They are there to help you learn or assess your technical competence as you earn your ratings: Private, Commercial ATP, Multi, Instrument and types. Not to humiliate or berate. If you bust a ride, they may offer suggestions or ideas to improve your flight skills.

Your observations in the debrief could be spot on as many IPs are low time pilots themselves building time for the "cushy airline job."

Remember - you need to mind your manners, be firm and objective, not emotional.

This from my perspective with some 40 plus years in military, airline, federal and general aviation operations, maintenance, Air Traffic Control and managing pilot training contracts.

Just my 2 centavos!

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right after I moved to OKC I had 15 hours towards my private after having soloed at 8. I went to Westheimer to find an instructor and made arrangements for a lesson after finding one I thought was a good fit. After 15 minutes of him yelling at me while in the pattern doing touch and go landings, I radioed for a full stop, pulled to the ramp and told him I was done. He didn't like the tight patterns I was taught previously, which was fine, but I wasn't going to pay an instructor to scream at me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom