Mesquite control suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I haven't set foot on my range since July. I come out today and there are little mesquite trees popping up, all about two to three foot high.

Is there any chemicals besides remedy? I was told Remedy needs the foliage on the tree before it will work and these don't have leaves yet as well as needing to be sprayed through a sprayer, not by a hand pump.

Suggestions on how to kill these things in winter?

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spike works similar to remedy but can be purchased in granular. Just spread it on your range anytime ground is not saturated. The mesquite will put on leaves come spring then will wilt and become leafless, may sprout again then do same thing and die. Spike kills anything woody for several years. I have used remedy only to be burdened with retreating new growth the next year.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can cut mesquite and dry it, some restaurants will pay well for it. I had a friend (cotton farmer) who owned a fair amount of land on the Salt Branch of the Brazos River, Rotan, TX. He had buyers that made selling mesquite worth his trouble…..(I’m not going to say that cotton farming is tough, but he looked to be in excellent shape and he died from a heart attack at age 41 over 30 years ago). I really thought a lot of that man (Terry Neeper) Rest in Peace…..

Latest posts

Top Bottom