Metal detecting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
What detector did you get?

Native Americans didn't have much use for coins or metals unless they were a tool or knife.

Coinshooting can usually be done easily at schools. If your detector has a discrimination setting, set it for coins and jewelry.
God did a curious thing to us metal detectorists. He made gold hit the circuitry like an aluminum pull tab and a nickel coin.

Now, what does this tell you? 1. Dig everything because you never know. 2. If you start hitting nickels, you know the place has probably not been detected before and gold could be present. Pull tabs, love em or hate em. The more pull tabs and trash you get out of an area the deeper you can go and the better the detecting for older coins.

Gold and silver will come out of the ground as it went in usually with no tarnishing. Pennies will usually last longer the older they are as they have more copper content. Newer pennies will disintegrate after a few years.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Playgrounds, parks, etc. I pay attention to where they have public festivals, art shows and concerts. Make a mental note of where the vendor tables are set up. Grass, dirt and gravel parking lots. That's where I found my first gold ring. I saw the direction the cars were parking in. Made my first search pass in the area where folks would have been opening there doors. About 30 minutes in got a sound that wasn't a pull tab but that's what it was showing on the screen. Tried it from a different angle and still got the same tone. Didn't even have to dig. It was just smashed down in the grass. Get a good pinpointer. It'll speed up your recovery time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's a whole area around North Kaw Lake where you aren't allowed to go for that reason. It's just a high fence in the middle of nowhere. Always heard there were native treasures to be found, but nobody I knew ever braved the federalis. Hoddy might know what's up there. The fence isn't too old.

It’s an active archeological French Trading post.
The traders worked With native Americans to trade goods for furs.
Not too far North of there is a bluff where the Indians drove bison herds over the cliff to kill or injure them where they would be easy to kill.
We were in a canoe up there a couple years ago and found several bison skulls.

EP1985

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What detector did you get?

Native Americans didn't have much use for coins or metals unless they were a tool or knife.

Coinshooting can usually be done easily at schools. If your detector has a discrimination setting, set it for coins and jewelry.
God did a curious thing to us metal detectorists. He made gold hit the circuitry like an aluminum pull tab and a nickel coin.

Now, what does this tell you? 1. Dig everything because you never know. 2. If you start hitting nickels, you know the place has probably not been detected before and gold could be present. Pull tabs, love em or hate em. The more pull tabs and trash you get out of an area the deeper you can go and the better the detecting for older coins.

Gold and silver will come out of the ground as it went in usually with no tarnishing. Pennies will usually last longer the older they are as they have more copper content. Newer pennies will disintegrate after a few years.
I just got a cheap one to start off with to see if I like it. I think it's a Bounty Hunter IV or something like that. If I get into it and like it, I will be buying a good one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom