Metal Detector...Brands/which one??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All....

Back in the early 1990's I knew some older guys that metal detected. One guy had a Garrett and the other...I think was a Whites(???)

So...does anyone have one of these brands? Are there better brands than these two?

Middle of the road model....not a cheapie and not the most expensive.

Testimony if you own a metal detector and where you bought it from. Also....what is a good brand of those hand held detector/locator after you dig the hole and want to pinpoint the coin?

Thanks!!!

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Metal Detectors are like cars, guns, and everything else; if you ask 10 people, you will probably wind up with 10 different opinions.

I done a bit of research before getting one recently and wound up with a Garrett AT PRO. Mine is smarter than I am, but I haven't had a chance to use it very much yet.

I think the standard (again, from my research) pinpointer that is both affordable and dependable would be the Garrett Carrot.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As stated above a very loaded question. Need to answer some questions, what are you looking to find, how deep?
The Garrett 250 is a great detector for the "bang for the buck".
https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_ace_250_main_en.aspx
I even have a brand new one in the box for sale. I already have a higher end detector, and don't really need it.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the White's MXT Pro and a Garrett Ace 250. The White's I mainly use for prospecting. Just for general everyday metal detecting my Ace 250 is hard to beat. And the learning curve is much quicker on the Ace. The one accessory that will save you the most time and cut out lots of aggravation is a handheld pinpointer.
I use a DetectorPro pinpointer. It's an older version that I've had for 15 years. In a new one I'd go with a Garrett pinpointer.

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/product/mxt-all-pro-digmas-bundle/

https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_ace_250_main_en.aspx

https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_pro-pointer_at_main_en.aspx

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good advice so far. I got this package about 4 years ago with the Garrett AT Pro Pointer. I really don't know how people kept metal detecting without the Pro Pointer. I also got it from these guys as they are in or near Moore, OK and provided great info and service for the purchase. Very helpful. The ACE 250 is a good unit as well. The AT Pro is good in fresh water and is hard to beat for the price and package you get. Does not work very well in saltwater though if that is an area you plan to use.

https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/garrett-at-pro-metal-detector

BlackRifle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been detecting since 85. First off,I would not buy a detector that has a screen that tries to tell you what it is,and how deep your target is, when you're first starting out. I suggest something simpler. Tesaro out of Prescott Arizona has many mid priced detectors. I use The Tesaro Cibola. Very easy to learn. Plus Tesaros have a life time warranty. Anything happens to it,they fix it for free. I bought mine at Waynes Detector sales, in OKC, but I think he went out of business. You could try Kellyco.com. One more thing,get a set of headphones. This helps block out outside noise and helps you hear deep targets.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Garrett Ace 250 with Pro Pointer here. I haven't used it nearly as much as I've wanted but it worked great during the times I've been out with it. Lost coins and jewelry are fairly easy in public places with a lot of traffic like city parks. I'd like to find an old house place and get permission to detect.

An old house was torn down west of UCO in Edmond (historic area) for commercial use. I was working to get permission to detect but got beat to it by a couple of guys. I stopped to talk with them and they had found several cool items including Mercury Dimes. Nice guys, they invited me to join them but I was just passing by running errands. I'm waiting for the day they repave the streets in downtown Edmond. Who knows what is buried in the dirt.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been detecting since 85. First off,I would not buy a detector that has a screen that tries to tell you what it is,and how deep your target is, when you're first starting out. I suggest something simpler. Tesaro out of Prescott Arizona has many mid priced detectors. I use The Tesaro Cibola. Very easy to learn. Plus Tesaros have a life time warranty. Anything happens to it,they fix it for free. I bought mine at Waynes Detector sales, in OKC, but I think he went out of business. You could try Kellyco.com. One more thing,get a set of headphones. This helps block out outside noise and helps you hear deep targets.

I'd disagree with that. I found it much easier to learn how to use a detector with a screen then one without. The visual cue coupled with the audio verified by what I dug up made it all work. I've been detecting since 1979 and think the advances in modern technology are great.

It all boils down to how people think and process information. I'm a visual thinker. I'd never go back to an audio only detector.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to mention there are very few detectors without visual screens. I would not recommend a detector without a screen to somebody new to the hobby. Even with my experience tuning a no screen MD is challenging.

Latest posts

Top Bottom