Metal Frame

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 9mm metal framed pistol for self defense and possibly concealed carry. I am 6'2 and 215lbs so I don't have any trouble carrying a heavy firearm. I also work at a university so I wouldn't be able to carry it all day long anyways. I've drooled over CZ's for a few years now and I am thinking of grabbing one of those, but I recently went over to AIM and they have S&W 5906's up for only $329 a piece, about $200 less than a base model cz75 and $350 less than the model I was looking at (P01/P06). I had never looked into the old Smith auto pistols before so I know next to nothing about them. How do they stack up against the CZ? I see that they have a slide mounted safety, a feature that I don't like but would put up with in a good firearm. Any suggestions or opinions? By the way, I am looking for a pistol that my wife will like. She likes my M&P alright, but she seems to favor metal framed pistols (she loved the 1911 the first time she shot it, but there's no way I'm paying over a thousand dollars for a pistol!), so if any of you have wife experience please share!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the 3rd Gen Smiths were alloy frame and therefore lighter. The 5906 is a very nice pistol. Built like a tank. Since you are considering something for concealed carry, you may want to consider the 3913, a compact, metal framed, single stack 9mm.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
5906 is all steel, smaller than a SIG P226, or Beretta 92FS. Capacity is 14+1 or 15+1 depending on magazine. The safety on the slide is more of a decocker. It can be left on, but there is no reason to, as the gun is dropsafe. Accuracy is usually very good, both front and rear sights are drift ajustable, and night sights are available. Regardless of owner S&W honors their lifetime warranty on these, but you'll probably never have to use it. There are still hundreds of holster makers out there who carry or make rigs for this pistol.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beretta 92FS or one of its variations. I carry a 92G Elite II regularly and it is heavy, but has 18+1 capacity with Mec-Gar magazines and is ultra-reliable.

The slide-mounted safety on the 92FS can be left off and on the 92G models like mine, this lever is a decocker only, not a safety. Unfortunately G models are relatively hard to find due to limited production. There are also the D models that have a slick slide, no safety or decocker, and are DAO.

If your wife will be shooting it a lot, make sure she holds one or better yet shoots one before buying. The grips are large (thick) unlike a 1911 that is relatively thin, so if she has small hands she may have trouble with it.

Another option for a metal 9mm is the Stoeger Cougar (formerly made by Beretta). The Cougar is smaller than the 92 but still fairly heavy. You can get them new for $350-400 and the one I shot was pretty nice.

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've handled the berretta and I like the gigantic ejection port and the ergo's, but the grip is just too fat for such a small bullet! The new CZ's are hald that size and hold the same amount of ammo.
I'm glad the smith is a good buy, I didn't know they came with a lifetime warranty (big plus). I will see if I can get ahold of one of these for the wife to try out, see if she likes it.
Also, I stumbled across a 1911 maker called Rock Island Armory, I did some checking and found they are made in the Philipines? What do you guys think about these? It sounds way too good to be true (a $400 1911 with bells and whistles to boot).

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the S&W you wont regret it prices have jumped on on these alot..2 Years ago the 5906 were $250 for trade ins they only go up new price on these S&W are about $800..When you find a deal on the CZ you want buy it then..

Id skip the alloy frame models they are a tad lighter, but alloy frames dont have the durability of steel..

Hoss

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, I stumbled across a 1911 maker called Rock Island Armory, I did some checking and found they are made in the Philipines? What do you guys think about these? It sounds way too good to be true (a $400 1911 with bells and whistles to boot).

I think that they are the best value 1911 there is and they have a lifetime warranty. There is a a pretty good following for them at m1911.org, lots of good information there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom