MidwayUSA grrrrrrr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I posted the following on MidwayUSA's Facebook page last night:
I started to order a part on the midwayusa.com website tonight. The part is a small pin that costs $1.99 and weighs an ounce or so. Your site wanted to charge the price of the part, a $3.00 "special handling fee", and $3.76 to ship USPS first class mail! A two ounce first class stamp is 64¢. So, for a $1.99 part with almost no discernible weight, I'd have to pay $8.75? I WANT to buy from MidwayUSA, but you guys aren't making any friends like this. I know it's annoying to sell little, cheap parts. But, those little purchases can lead to much bigger ones down the road. It's a bit disappointing, for sure.

The part was a mag release pin for a 10/22, by the way.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran into a similar issue a couple years ago. I needed a carb kit for an old Honda dirtbike and by the time I bought the kit and paid the ridiculous shipping fee, it was going to run $42 for a few jets and o-rings. I found a complete carb (Chinese knock-off) for $46. Hmm, which one do you think I bought? I wouldn't buy a Chinese carb for just anything but this is for a playbike.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think its stinks that it costs that much to order a simple pin. Its also not entirely unreasonable either. Consider the time you would spend calling or driving around looking for somebody who has one locally because, I doubt you would save very much.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the downfalls of standardized shipping. If you can get ahold of someone human you might have a chance at cheaper shipping, otherwise you'd probably be better off checking with local dealers or Honeybee.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I'm shopping online and a business wants to charge me $10 shipping for something that's small, light, and cheap to begin with, I just laugh and move on. So, when my wife and I started our (very) small internet-based business, we built our shipping cost into the price. We're not about to insult people by claiming it costs $10 to ship a damn hat just to squeeze a little more profit from them. If we didn't use shipping confirmation it would only cost $1.98, with SC it's $2.68. And the packages are fairly big.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I agree that their small order charge stinks. The shipping has actually improved; they used to not offer the first class shipping option at all and it was $8-$9 and higher for anything...

Good luck,

Alan

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been a Midway customer as long as I can remember. Once upon a time, all orders shipped FREE. ALL ORDERS! FREE! Back then, I didn't even shop around. Their prices were competitive with anyone, and I knew shipping was free. O.K. I understand they couldn't keep that up. So, they started charging for shipping. Then, they started charging the small order fee, The latest order I 'attempted' to place online was for a magazine follower for a '98 Mauser and a fabric (nylon/cordova or whatever) holster for a revolver. Both small and lightweight. No small order fee, but they still wanted over Twelve Bucks to ship it. I didn't complete the order. Their system now picks up on that, so I got an e-mail asking why I didn't finish the ordering process. I told them that was utterly ridiculous. Haven't heard back from them. That has happened twice within the last few months.

Latest posts

Top Bottom