Might be parting ways with an old friend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a horse guy at all, my sister keeping them as literal pets kinda ruined them for me. But, as a guy who doesn't know what he would do when any of our dogs die, I can empathize with you man. That's rough, and I can't imagine. I've watched some really snazzy cutting horses on some real nice ranches near Weatherford TX. A horse that can work cows is a really impressive and special thing.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks! I chuckled along as I listened. It hit home. Back in 2009 I was helping at the headquarters division of the ranch I worked on. The owner told me “take that sorrel 3yo home with you when you leave today”. I looked him over and thought daggum, look at them skillets for feet and how heavy boned he is, he will never ride catty like I like em. There was a boy day working with us that day who asked me “you wanna know about that horse?” I said “sure”. He said,
“Well, I tried to get him started and ride him many times. He’s probably bucked me off 10 times. So they brought him over here for Oregon (the bronc stomper at that time) and he’s stolen a few rides on him.”
It was then that I thought my boss had it out for me. But I was wrong! He knew something. One of the first time the boss and I went to gather a cow herd this horse got down in front of a cow planning to leave the scene and turned her. When we got the pens shut I asked the boss, “Did you see this Colt get in front of that cow?” He said, “yep, I had a feeling he was one of those kind”.
^ That story is Hamsters. Lol

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no horse guy either, but my father in law (RIP) made his living on one. Throughout his years (almost 50) on the Chapman ranch, he had many horses. He never owned one of his own, they all belonged to the ranch.

But I'll never forget how literally sick he was when he finally retired and had to say goodbye to Popcorn. Popcorn was an amazing creature as they came and I didn't think he would ever get over leaving him.

Good luck to you and Hamster.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no horse guy either, but my father in law (RIP) made his living on one. Throughout his years (almost 50) on the Chapman ranch, he had many horses. He never owned one of his own, they all belonged to the ranch.

But I'll never forget how literally sick he was when he finally retired and had to say goodbye to Popcorn. Popcorn was an amazing creature as they came and I didn't think he would ever get over leaving him.

I think I’ve mentioned it to you before but the ranch I’m on and the ranch I previously worked on are part of the Chapman family which is probably the same bunch of folks you speak of.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I’ve mentioned it to you before but the ranch I’m on and the ranch I previously worked on are part of the Chapman family which is probably the same bunch of folks you speak of.

Probably. Charlie worked at the Sulphur ranch from like 1947-1968, then he worked in the Holdenville area until he retired in 1996 or so.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn you. Cowcatcher!! You made me cry!! Over a horse!! (I dunno if you remember but I'm quite scared of horses.) But I do know what's it like to lose an animal that you have the kind of bond you've described with. You are letting him go live his best life. That is a testament to how much you care for him. Good on you.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would this be the same family that owned the Chapman/Bernard ranch the Nature Conservancy operates over by Pawhuska currently?

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

When I decided in 2014 to take this job I’m at now I expected to say goodbye to Hamster because he belonged to the ranch I worked for at the time. The final day I had packed all my stuff and my boss at the time came to say goodbye before I left. He handed me a folded paper. I unfolded it and it was Hamsters registration papers. He said, “Well, I been thinking and I just don’t see how you could leave here without that horse. He’s yours and if things don’t work out where you are going you are welcome back right here.”
I learned right then that just because you make an employer change that don’t mean you’ve made an enemy. That boss passed away in 2020. He was a hard man but fair. His boys now run the ranch and it’s at their ranch horse sale that Hamster is consigned. If I could afford it I’d donate the proceeds to some sort of cancer research which is what suddenly and swiftly took that man in his 60’s with so much left to do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom