Might be parting ways with an old friend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve consigned my oldest horse to a ranch horse sale in October. It’s an invitation only sale for specifically ranch horses. He’s 17 years old nowadays and I figure he’s got a ton of monetary value still but as his years go on that value drops. I don’t want to be the one to bury him someday and he could touch someone else’s kids what to look for in a horse. My kids ride him some but they’ve got others. I will miss him because I don’t have another horse as capable as Hamster yet. I’ve rode many horses and he ranks in the top 2 but I suppose I gotta go work on the others cuz he’s getting old. He’s fought many cattle battles with me and drug who knows how many pounds of beef. He’s abnormally large for his pedigree and has athletic ability that usually isn’t found in a horse his size. He stands 16.2 hands tall at his wither. He weighs 1400 pounds. He can stop anything I can rope. I’ve ridden him since he was 3. He was ate up with cow naturally. I remember calling my wife the first time I was driving a few sick yearlings to the doctoring pen on him. He was 3 and I maybe had 10 rides on him and he was watching everyone of em. I told her to come hide around the corner of the barn and watch this. One of them calves would turn around and wanna go back to the herd and Hamster would get low and ready. When he was 4 I was doctoring many trader cows on him. Foot rots mainly and he just craved to put the brakes on one I’d rope. Anyhow the sale is in two weeks. I got a few videos of him workin a steer today while we were sorting and check weighing steers that we will ship soon. The ol man is 17 years old but still knows how to get fancy holding a steer. Man time flies. Watching 3 daughters grow and this horse and a couple dogs. Where the hell did the years go!

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand many of y’all may not understand a connection to a horse but many of y’all probably have memories with a dog or something. It ain’t much different. I just gotta suck it up. My choices are sell him while he’s got a large monetary value (probably near or more than $10k considering his age) or be willing to see him get old in bad shape and bury him one day. I’m lookin at it like if someone will pay what I’m willing to take then they probably gonna give him a good home and maybe he will teach them or their kids to read a cow.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Before I was ever even born we had these two horses. Lots of miles rode. Lots of cattle pushed. I grew up with those two horses.

About the time I was graduated and leaving home they both had to be put down. One had cancer pretty bad. He ended up laying down one day and couldn’t get back up. The other one ended up getting some sort of harsh respiratory sickness that he couldn’t get over about a year later and he had to be put down as well.

In my opinion horses are harder to lose than dogs. Even harder to put them down yourself. I think you’re doing the right thing though, let a kid get some enjoyment out of him in his older years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom