Milsurp @ Wanenmachers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixlimericks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never made the drive up to Tulsa for this, but I'm in the mood for a good show. Is Wanenmacher's all the photos crack it up to be? I feel like I've been going to the same OKC show for 10 years.

I'm particularly interested in M1 Garands at the moment and was wondering if anyone else has had experience with fair prices at this show.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There were a lot of Garands there last year, though prices were very much on the high side. I did see a few decently priced Garands, but not much. The show is great and the only show I still attend, though deals tend to be fewer each year. Your best bet is usually to find someone walking around with a gun rather than a dealer, at least if you want a good price. What are you looking for in a Garand?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What bsmith said. Not just M1 Garands, but pretty much everything will be on the high side. Don't use the CMP prices as a baseline to determine Garand values in the "real world" - typical gun show prices will be at least several hundred dollars higher than what the CMP charges, fair or not. I often see dealers asking $1000 for what costs $650 shipped from the CMP, and their "justification" is that the rifle is available right now, not several months from now. Obviously, they're preying on the impatience of a potential buyer. Even those walking around with Garands will be asking high prices, though they may be more willing to negotiate especially if they've been lugging that heavy rifle around a while.

I'd suggest looking, but if nothing jumps out at you that you just have to have, walk away and look in the classifieds on here and other firearms forums. You'll usually find better prices that way, and there are a lot of Garands floating around for sale.

sixlimericks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you looking for in a Garand?

I started with a really nice matching HRA and am looking to round out the collection. I'd like next up to be a SA and WRA. WWII era receivers, mixmasters or not, as long as they're in decent shape. USGI stamped stocks a plus. I can always correct them out over time. Talking with a guy about a 6 digit SA right now, we'll see what kinda price we can come up with. IHC can wait, maybe get one of the CMP's when they come out if I'm lucky.

sixlimericks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't use the CMP prices as a baseline to determine Garand values in the "real world" - typical gun show prices will be at least several hundred dollars higher than what the CMP charges, fair or not.

I agree with you. The CMP is a magical place and has a lot of people worked up about the marked up prices Garands will fetch once they run out, if I get the jist of it right. I have no qualms about paying a fair price, but the $1200-1700 (for what would be a Service Grade) I've seen recently are a little out there. Maybe in a few years... but not now. I'm as patient as they come when it comes to researching and finding what I'd like to have in the collection. The CMP end times doesn't scare me as much as others (resellers), but it's sure gonna suck.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no qualms about paying a fair price, but the $1200-1700 (for what would be a Service Grade) I've seen recently are a little out there.

Geez, who was asking those prices?? And here I thought $900 for the HRA mixmaster someone was walking around the last show was too high...

sixlimericks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geez, who was asking those prices?? And here I thought $900 for the HRA mixmaster someone was walking around the last show was too high...

Those numbers were from the last show in OKC I went to. I didn't even mention the $6000 (that's right, $6000) that was on a SA National Match I came across. Whether you have the papers or not, that's ridiculous for an issued gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom