MIM vs. Forged parts for 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
are the Metal Injection Molding (MIM) parts really far inferior to forged?

I'm about to start upgrading and making my springfield 1911 really mine and although I probably won't put over 20,000 rounds through it in it's lifetime, I don't want parts snapping and having to be replaced all the time.

I like the cost savings that you can get with the MIM parts but I'm not sure what the lifespan of a hammer for example would be.

Should I just take the time to save more money and do it right from the start with better parts?
This is a gun that I will never get rid of so I don't care about resale value. just funtion.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's more important for some parts than others. I personally think ignition parts and the slide stop should not be MIM on a ccw, but that's me. I'd suggest talking with olyeller. He'll get you fixed up! ;)

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I kinda figured I should just stick with the high dollar quality anyways. I'm gonna go with a S&A beavertail and the rest will be Wilson Combat and Cylinder & Slide parts.

you get what you pay for right!?

Thanks everybody, I'll spend the extra cash and make this pistol last long enough for my grandkids. I can't wait to get some parts ordered and get started on this project.

Latest posts

Top Bottom