First Watch Repair Complete, And I'm Pretty Happy With The Results.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You must have really good eyes to pull off watch repairs. I have always marveled how jewelers and watch people can work with such small parts. I know they have a magnifying glass but it is no different than doing surgery, with a lot of focus and patience. Which I definitely do not have in my skillset.

I guess the one difference is your watch doesn't die if you mess up. :burnout:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you took a standard Seiko PADI and turned it into a non certified chronometer and saved yourself 3-4k?

Not bad at all my friend!

I've never got the cyclops for date windows. None of my field or dress watches have them and I've never said to myself "I need giant ugly magnifying glass to see it" either.

I wish Hamilton had the aftermarket support that Seiko does. The mods like a Glock are endless.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a railroad pocket watch that needs a cleaning. Does it have to be taken apart or something as simplistic as lighter fluid be used for cleaning.

What is involved for cleaning and old time piece?

Don’t read into this that I would attempt to clean it. Watch belong to my Uncle who handed it down to about 40 years ago.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seamaster's are awesome. I have heard that Omega is really trying to step things up too. I have heard the New Speedmaster Professionals are at +/- 1 second per day, beating Rolex at +/- 2 seconds per day. I do love Seiko's though, Like the new SKX GMT's. Many watches have good lume, some have really poor. If you really get into antique vintage watches, get a geiger counter (around $50 to $150, no need to spend more). Old radium paint particles can really mess up your work area.
Oh yeah, that is the plan on the for future antique watches. I have no desire to work with old radium dials and hands.

Regarding the Omega movements, their new ones in the Speedmaster, Seamaster, etc. are all METAS Master Chronometer certified. This is a step above COSC.

Per Google-Fu:
"All Omega watches that are tested and pass the tests by METAS (The Federal Institute of Metrology) are awarded the master Chronometer Certification. The certification means that the watch has been certified twice, and has passed 8 different tests related to the quality, durability, and accuracy."

Rolex does not have a single watch with a METAS certification, but I also don't think they even bother submitting them for testing. All of them are good, but from a pure mechanical timekeeping perspective, Omega is far ahead of Rolex. Resale value, good marketing, etc. Rolex is obviously beating everyone.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a railroad pocket watch that needs a cleaning. Does it have to be taken apart or something as simplistic as lighter fluid be used for cleaning.

What is involved for cleaning and old time piece?

Don’t read into this that I would attempt to clean it. Watch belong to my Uncle who handed it down to about 40 years ago.
Lighter fluid is a common cleaner used for most watch parts, but there are some items you don't want to use lighter fluid on. Yes, to correctly service a watch it does need to be disassembled, then cleaned, and finally reassembled & lubricated.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you took a standard Seiko PADI and turned it into a non certified chronometer and saved yourself 3-4k?

Not bad at all my friend!

I've never got the cyclops for date windows. None of my field or dress watches have them and I've never said to myself "I need giant ugly magnifying glass to see it" either.

I wish Hamilton had the aftermarket support that Seiko does. The mods like a Glock are endless.
Hamilton is owned by the Swatch group. Many of the movements, etc. in those are commonly found in other brands, such as Tissot, and are good quality Swiss parts. From a service standpoint, they are not difficult to source parts for. For modding and aftermarket support, that could be another matter entirely. You can always find an aftermarket crystal, watch bands, dial hands, etc. That stuff would be fairly easy.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. How often should this be done?
It totally depends on the watch. OEM suggestions are anywhere from 3-10 years. Modern synthetic lubricants do not break down nearly as quickly as older conventional (mostly animal based) lubricants. This greatly extends the service life.

In the real world, most people don't have their mechanical watch serviced until it stops keeping accurate time, myself included. A full service using modern lubricants, you'd probably be good for at least 5-7 years before you'd be due again, and even then it'd probably still keep pretty good time. Parts will begin to wear faster though, so doing service every 5-7 years keeps replacement part costs at a minimum.

Last edited:

OldDad

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in college, I knew a prof who was known to be as tight as a drum. On a school-sponsered trip to Italy he was approached by a shady looking character who asked him if he wanted to buy one of the several high-end watches the guy had under his jacket. Though the prof assumed the watches were stolen, he paid $200 for an Omega. By the time he got back to the hotel the watch had stopped. Close inspection showed that the watch was...wait for it... an Onega

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s officially finished. The strap came in this evening. I am sold! Definitely keeping this one.

AE05023F-BE50-4C9B-ACCF-12988AFF0155.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom