mislabeled reloads...need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie reloaded

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
recently a friend asked me to help him clean out his shop. In it he had a bunch of reloading equipment and some reloads. among other things were 350 rounds of 223. He no longer has an AR or .223 rifle so gave me the reloads.

Label states:
55gr FMJBT
27.4 grains CFE223
COAL 2.220"
cci #41 primer
LC brass

I shot a few of them and they were way off in terms of point of impact, (very low) so I pulled bullets out of 10 rounds at random and weighed the charges.
Actual weight of the charges were between 24.6 and 24.8 grains.
All the loading data I come across states that starting loads for CFE 223 with 55 gr bullet is 26 grains. MAX load 27.8.
My question, Is it safe to go ahead and shoot these or should I toss them. What are the possible problems one might encounter with a below starting load charge? Any help or advice appreciated. I am fairly new to reloading and above all else want to keep eyes and fingers intact.
Thanks in advance!

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if there was a dyslexia moment in there somewhere? 27.4 grains got loaded as 24.7?

Safe answer is to pull the rest of them and recharge them. On the bright side, you've got 350 rounds of primed brass and bullets. I'd ditch the powder in them because you don't really know if it's CFE 223.

okie reloaded

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
had to be some dyslexia going on. I guess I wasn't looking at the glass as half full. It is a bonus that I will have primed brass and bullets. I wonder if I should tell him or just let it be.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fouler rounds.
or close range in the brush rounds if the accuracy is not there.
You can send off a calibrated weight and have 10 people measure it on their favorite scale and get 10 different weights .

That is why we work up.
That is also why we make our own loads most of the time.
If these shoot and you have no pressure issues and you like them , then shoot them.

If you can pull the rounds and make more accurate ammo and this makes you feel better then do that.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if there was a dyslexia moment in there somewhere? 27.4 grains got loaded as 24.7?

Safe answer is to pull the rest of them and recharge them. On the bright side, you've got 350 rounds of primed brass and bullets. I'd ditch the powder in them because you don't really know if it's CFE 223.

+1 on this....and if he asks how they were tell them they shot perfect....because when you are done recharging them they will be!

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This is what one should do.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is why most shooters will not shoot another's reloads. What if the max charge was fouled up in a brain fart moment, and it was three grains over max?

Pull the bullets, and reload them to specs. Your life isn't worth taking a chance.

I have over 100 pounds of live rounds that I've picked up at our range. One of these days when Hillary gets elected to POTUS, and ammo becomes scarce, I'll pull the bullets, dump the powder in the yard, and reload the cases with a charge I'm comfortable with.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I pulled 15 of my own handloads that i just made because they only would shoot 1.4-1.7" groups at 206 yards.
That made feel all better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom