Missouri Vs. Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martialartsblackbelt

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So i just moved to Missouri from NE oklahoma a few weeks ago and i gotta say i like the gun laws here better.

for one i can open carry.
which give me much more options reguarding attire.
No need to worry about printing.

yes even in walmart i open carry and not one person has freaked out or called the police
i contacted the local police Dept to ask what the ordinances were regarding open carry explaining to him i just moved from okla.
his responce was
"you cant open carry there?"
"yes its legal here"

you also can carry loaded concealed or uncealed in your car here!
even at age 18.
with no permet...

it seems to me the gun laws are looser here then in OK.

unless someone can tell me why Oklahoma got a "Worse" grade by the brady bunch then Mo.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So i just moved to Missouri from NE oklahoma a few weeks ago and i gotta say i like the gun laws here better.

for one i can open carry.
which give me much more options reguarding attire.
No need to worry about printing.

yes even in walmart i open carry and not one person has freaked out or called the police
i contacted the local police Dept to ask what the ordinances were regarding open carry explaining to him i just moved from okla.
his responce was
"you cant open carry there?"
"yes its legal here"

you also can carry loaded concealed or uncealed in your car here!
even at age 18.
with no permet...

it seems to me the gun laws are looser here then in OK.

unless someone can tell me why Oklahoma got a "Worse" grade by the brady bunch then Mo.

Where did you move to? I have lived all over the great state of Missouri and I don't EVER recall seeing a weapon being open carried unless it was attached to a LEO. I don't know laws there - I'm just telling you what actually happens.

Rick417

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful with the open carry. As you mentioned, cities can set their own ordinance against open carry. ie; You can open carry in Joplin but several of the suburbs prohibit it.

The CCW laws are great though. The no guns signs on businesses pretty much mean nothing as far as the law goes. The fact that our CCW law allows anyone to carry in their vehicle caused a lot of people to not even bother getting a permit.

Welcome to Missery, what area are you in? I'm an Okie living in Missery myself.

Martialartsblackbelt

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
just to rub it in... 18 yrs can car loaded in there cars here and you can carry at sporting events if the building holds 5000 people or less.
thought about that this weekend while is was at the spirit bank event center for the Fights.
there was 3000 plus people there.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just to rub it in... 18 yrs can car loaded in there cars here and you can carry at sporting events if the building holds 5000 people or less.
thought about that this weekend while is was at the spirit bank event center for the Fights.
there was 3000 plus people there.

FYI, there are still federal laws covering some of those issues that you might want to consider before allowing an 18 year old to carry a loaded pistol in a car.

Also, many municipalities in Missouri bar open carry as there are no state preemption laws there as there are in Oklahoma so know the laws in any jurisdiction you plan to open carry in.

Michael Brown

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My folks moved to Cassville in 08. Dad calles it mayberry. When he went to get his CWP and they gave it to him that day because the Sheriff said so. They have the power to do that even without a background check.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow thats awesome.

No it's not.

It also means they can deny you for some ridiculous reason i.e. race.

That's why the laws got changed recently. If the sheriff in your county was pro-gun, then you were all set. If the sheriff was anti-gun or just didn't like you, you were screwed.

You have to look below the surface to determine if a state's gun laws are really pro-2nd.

Oklahoma's gun laws are among the best in the nation, likely to be THE best soon.

Michael Brown

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Missouri does have an official "no guns" sign. Not all those posting for no guns choose to use the legal sign, so creating a shades-of-gray loophole.

Missouri's "prohibited carry by statute" list is not the same as Oklahoma's. Study it first to keep out of trouble.

Latest posts

Top Bottom