MK III re-assembly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As with so many, my first attempt at stripping and reassembling my brand new Ruger Mk III has ended in frusteration. :pissed:

I got it back together, got the mainspring closed, and found the bolt wouldn't go back more than a little bit which seems to be due to the spur being in the wrong position when it closed. Which means I can't get the hammer in the right position to reopen the mainspring and try again. :angry3:

So on this page, I have problem 8 which is also causing problem 1.

I'm sure somebody else has had inappropriate relations with the canine on this deal in the past since it's famously tricky to strip/reassemble, any tips for getting it apart again to try to reposition the spur? I actually TRIED to follow instructions, believe it or not! Any help would be ENORMOUSLY appreciated.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found that tilting my MKIII in various positions when reassembling the thing helps. Specifically during steps 5-8 of reassembly
I think that's exactly my problem. I titled back, but with the gun right side up. It sounded like it just wouldn't close the mainspring if I did it wrong, so I assumed I was G2G.

If only it would come apart to try again! :pissed:

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's really common on the Ruger Marks. The hammer strut isn't resting on the main spring, it's on a pin in the frame instead. Locks the hammer in place, and prevents the bolt from being drawn.

First you insert the bolt, pull the trigger and tilt the barrel of the pistol down, this allows the hammer to fall into place. Insert the main spring housing and look into the gap and find the hammer strut. As you insert the housing tilt the pistol back to allow the strut to fall into place on the main spring plunger.

Be careful, if you force it you can bend, or even break the hammer strut, don't ask me how I know this......

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man..too funny...I spent a couple of hrs messin with two of mine...I picked up a MKIII 22/45 last night and had the bright idea to take the TacSol upper on my MKII and put it on the MKIII and vice versa...well, while I was trying to tap the upper onto the MKII frame, I jarred some pins lose and a bunch of the guts fell out....took me forever to get it all back together...lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom