Bought A Scrapped Watch For Parts From eBay - Got A Big Surprise!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wear a Seiko daily, but have no idea whether it is worth much. I can't even remember when I bought it, but I know it isn't as old as the one you now have.

Your 46 year old watch would put it back around 1976, if I figure right, and at that time, I was carrying pocket watches because any wrist watch I tried would quit after a month or so, regardless of whether it was manually wound, self-winding, or battery. I kind of figure my Seiko might be later '80's or early '90's, but I can't even be sure of that.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thing has got me bumfuzzled. The day-of-week wheel is bilingual. But I guess I don't need to worry much about it because I can't figure out how to switch between languages. As it passes midnight the date will change as normal. About 1:00am'ish the day-of-week will advance one slot to the next day in the other language. Then about 3:00AM'ish it will have advanced again to the english day. So as long as it keeps that up I'm good! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_0239.jpeg
    IMG_0239.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely put it out there when you’re ready to work on other watches. I have a self winding Seiko, maybe 15 years old and needs a good cleaning and new crystal.. Took it to a watch repair about replacing glass and was told he could probably not get one, sorry. Advised I look on EBay for a replacement part. I’d be willing to let you try as a project. Bottom line let me know when you’re ready to roll. Nothing to lose on my part. Really like the watch, and has been rock solid. THANKS!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thing has got me bumfuzzled. The day-of-week wheel is bilingual. But I guess I don't need to worry much about it because I can't figure out how to switch between languages. As it passes midnight the date will change as normal. About 1:00am'ish the day-of-week will advance one slot to the next day in the other language. Then about 3:00AM'ish it will have advanced again to the english day. So as long as it keeps that up I'm good! Lol

I don't know much about the workings of watches, but in some cases, there are times when one pulls the stem out half-way, which lets the watch keep up with keeping time while the individual turns the stem knob backwards from what is normally done for changing the date at the end of the month. Maybe something like that would sync your day of the week?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know much about the workings of watches, but in some cases, there are times when one pulls the stem out half-way, which lets the watch keep up with keeping time while the individual turns the stem knob backwards from what is normally done for changing the date at the end of the month. Maybe something like that would sync your day of the week?
This one has a halfway point. Halfway adjusts the day-of-week and date by turning if opposite directions, all the way out adjusts the time. I could be that you simply adjust the day of week to the language you want and stop it right there. It also tells you not to set it during certain hours of the day and this is probably why. I'm quite rusty and out of practice on mechanical watches having either not worn a watch at all or had electronic for decades. I'm really digging the mechanicals and it might be a new addiction. I'm jonesing hard for a swiss now. One of these:
https://www.thommenwatches.com/

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is the way they are designed. If your watch has a quick set day feature, you can advance it individually between each position, then whatever day/language you set it on, it will jump twice around midnight and 2-3AM to advance it to the next day in the same language.

1662480681925.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom