Modernized Scout Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almost Jack Burton

Not the real Jack Burton but close.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These guys already did it and did it well. These are pretty decent rifles.
https://www.ruger.com/products/scoutRifle/models.html
I have shot the Gunsite scout, It's a great rifle but the stock seemed liked it added a little more felt recoil than other bolt .308s.
The Styer in all its wonky bipod and polymer glory seemed to recoil less. Maybe it was psychosomatic because I was dead set on a Gunsite a few years back and my brain wanted to ruin it for me hahahaha.

Last edited:

Almost Jack Burton

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So as for the transformation of well whatever the Cross is considered into a scout type rifle, the attached of iron sights isn't as straightforward as adding an mlok rail at the end of the handguard.
There is a very slight difference in the height from the scope rail and the height of what the rail would be for the front sight.(Mentioned this in the opener)
Luckily the little rail section that comes with the magpul vfg is a little on the chunky side and the variance in in the 1000ths, so hurdle number 1 has been cleared.

Almost Jack Burton

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couple of shots of the draw draw backs mentioned in the opener.
I do believe the reason for the right side folding was because the stock has a channel cut into that aligns with the receiver channel for guiding the bolt when cycling, my guess is this is to prevent binding of the bolt.

Attachments

• 20220530_165038.jpg
    20220530_165038.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220530_165148.jpg
    20220530_165148.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I liked the “Scout Rifle” concept. Thought about a bolt gun but settled with a M1A Scout. I had tried a 2x Aimpoint forward. Didn’t like it. Actually liked a scope over the receiver better that the 2x Aimpoint. Sold the Aimpoint and went with the EOTech, which I really like. Very quick to get on target and a lot of fun to shoot.

Attachments

• M1A w Aimpoint.jpg
    M1A w Aimpoint.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
  • M1A w. Bradley Cheekrest 005.JPG
    M1A w. Bradley Cheekrest 005.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 0

Almost Jack Burton

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I liked the “Scout Rifle” concept. Thought about a bolt gun but settled with a M1A Scout. I had tried a 2x Aimpoint forward. Didn’t like it. Actually liked a scope over the receiver better that the 2x Aimpoint. Sold the Aimpoint and went with the EOTech, which I really like. Very quick to get on target and a lot of fun to shoot.
I'm probably going scope over the receiver, I like it better aswell.
Going to change put my pepr mount for a signature qd, in the off chance I would have to use the buis. Also going to run a relex dot of some kind either on top of the scope mk12 style or on an offset haven't decided yet.

Almost Jack Burton

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love your rig btw.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find a Remington Mohawk in 308 and add a Burris scout scope mount. Go shoot. Or as pointed out, the Ruger is pretty well done. Remington #7 in 308 can also be made into a fair rendition of a scout rifle as well.
I'm with you, Kurt. I bought a Remington 660 in .243 in the 80's, great little woods rifle, put down many deer with it, all one-shot stops with 100gr Noslers. About 20 years ago, I got a hankering for something similar in stainless, and bought a Remington Stainless Model Seven .308 with synthetic stock and put a compact AimPoint on it. A most amazing rifle. Short, light weight, easy to handle in a tree stand or carry all day, a pleasure to shoot, and way more accurate than I can shoot. I'm 80 and no longer hunt, but I'm definitely saving that Model Seven for one of my sons.

Latest posts

Top Bottom