More heinous crimes... in our own backyard.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't imagine why this isn't burning up the national newswire. I can think of several subtle alterations in the situation which would have mass numbers of people rioting in the streets. :( Prayers for the victim, and hopes for life sentences for the perpetrators.

Thirteen-Year-Old Kansas Boy Set on Fire
Posted on March 2nd, 2012

On Tuesday, according to KCTV 5, a 13-year-old Kansas boy was set on fire by two 16-year-old boys. The boy was rushed to Children’s Mercy Hospital after his face and hair were set ablaze.

The boy was walking home from East High School and actually made it to his home two blocks away on Quincy Avenue when he was assaulted. One of the boys prevented him from entering his house, and the victim said that the second suspect grabbed a red gallon of gasoline and told him, “This is what you get.”

The Kansas City Police Department said that when lighter sparked the gasoline it “produced a large fire ball burning the face and hair.” They were particularly worried about the boy’s eyes and lungs and also stated that this was a particularly “heinous crime.” They are also considering if this was a hate crime because all that is known is that the victim is white, and the two suspects are black.

According to KMBC, the boy managed to put the fire out using the shirt he was wearing and called 911 on his own before calling his dad. Melissa Coon, the boy’s mother, said, “You could smell the burned skin. You could smell the burned hair. It was just awful.”

Since the boy has returned home, reports are now saying that the suspects said, “This is what you deserve. You get what you deserve, white boy.” Sites such as The New American are saying this was previously edited out so as to not cause any racial controversy.

If it was or was not a hate crime, it is still unbelievably awful. The boy suffered first degree burns but hopefully will be able to fully recover. No one has been arrested as of yet, but the parents obviously plan to go after whoever it was who attacked their son.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In an unrelated matter CNN has as it's lead story a black kid that was shot and FOX is running a sub-lead story about a muslim woman being beat to death. I only mention the races/ethnicities/religion/etc. because the leading news agencies did. Must be an important aspect of the story, don't know why. I guess since it's a white kid in Kansas they must give due deliberation before it's considered a "hate crime"....or major league news worthy. I'm in all likelyhood headed down the wrong path of thinking. As far as I know the press, police brass, and society at large are not bias about such things.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
In an unrelated matter CNN has as it's lead story a black kid that was shot and FOX is running a sub-lead story about a muslim woman being beat to death. I only mention the races/ethnicities/religion/etc. because the leading news agencies did. Must be an important aspect of the story, don't know why. I guess since it's a white kid in Kansas they must give due deliberation before it's considered a "hate crime"....or major league news worthy. I'm in all likelyhood headed down the wrong path of thinking. As far as I know the press, police brass, and society at large are not bias about such things.

Happened over 3 weeks ago. I'm guessing it's not going to break national news anytime soon. I wonder why? Seems newsworthy and relevant to me, but I'm just a dumb ol' hick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom