More specific question concerning leaving gun in car on employers property..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would read the company policy carefully. If it says consent to search is implied by entering the premises, then I would allow the search. If the search reveals the firearm and the company tries to terminate her or make her remove the firearm from the premises, then I would have a copy of the law available and make notification that they would be in violation of Oklahoma state law. I would further notify them that any subsequent disciplinary action that was not in line with past & present performance & conduct, would be considered retaliation and trigger notification of the appropriate law enforcement agency, elected representative and retention of counsel in the event litigation is warranted. Possibly the news as well.

In short, "I'll play nice if you will, but don't mess with me". Most importantly, I would not allow anyone at the employer to know that I owned, carried or kept a firearm in my vehicle. Best to avoid trouble altogether whenever possible.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Everyone here presumes that the employer is searching the car for guns. In my experience they are probably searching for drugs or stolen items. From what I have seen you have the right to refuse a search. Then they will exercise their right to fire you.

Michael

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was just water cooler talk but at my job somebody brought up the law change to management and they replied with: how much do you like your job? As in we'd find something to fire you over.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have a copy of the law available and make notification that they would be in violation of Oklahoma state law.
At my last job, I made a copy and kept it with my pistol. Now I work for a pro 2nd amendment business. I love it. Not only can I bring it to work, but I can bring it in and keep it under the counter.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was told point blank that if it were discovered I had a weapon in my car, I'd be fired. When I questioned it, I was told that they'd find a reason.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was told point blank that if it were discovered I had a weapon in my car, I'd be fired. When I questioned it, I was told that they'd find a reason.

I'd suggest documenting that conversation in a memorandum for record. Include who said what and what date/time it took place. File a copy of said memo at work and at home...and depending on how froggy you feel, fire off a copy to HR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom