Motorcycle riders, use your helmets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In 1993 I was riding with a good friend of mine. He went down in front of me and died. To this day I think if he would have been wearing his helmet he would be with us today. It took me several years to get back on a bike after that horrible night. I wear a helmet EVERY time I get on one now. RIP. BRIAN

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always wear a seat belt when you drive. People do and still die in crashes.
Always wear a helmet when you ride. People do and still die in crashes.
I have ridden for years and have survived a couple crashes (neither was my fault). Once I was wearing a helmet and once I was not. The time I did not I landed on my forehead after flying 40 feet through the air. My wife still remembers seeing it all unfold in front of her. I still have the scar on my forehead.
I still don't wear a helmet.
It's not a 'biker' thing. It's a choice I make every time I saddle up. It's not about image. It's about a choice. It's not stupid. It's a choice.
It's about comfort, and a feeling of the wind in your hair. It's the reason I ride a motorcycle in the first place.
Of course, if you feel the need to wear a helmet and all the protective devices, do so. It's your choice. I respect that. Please respect my choice to not wear it.

About the kids: since when is it a 3 year old's choice to do anything? Hell, we dress them, bathe them, feed them, and make every other decision for them. Why can't we decide whether they wear a helmet or not? Why does that all of a sudden become a nanny state decision?

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The safety gear nazi in me asks this same question, the libretarian in me says 1shot has a valid point.

I had a rear squirt from under the bike on a street covered in leaf dust at 10mph then catch and pitch me off the highside into a curb headfirst. It was enough to knock me incoherent and possibly out for a few seconds, if I hadn't had a helmet on I would be dead. My son's not allowed on his quad, dirtbike or on the back with me or my wife unless he has his rirding gear on. But that should be my decision.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rode street bikes for 30+ years, and bit the dirt three times. Each to a person in a vehicle that did not see me. Always wore a helmet, and heavy jacket. Now its just ATV's, no street riding.
I have seen a couple of bikes coming at me, with a strobe on the front. It sure gets your attention. Pretty good idea IMHO.

Batman47

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have ridden for years and have survived a couple crashes (neither was my fault). Once I was wearing a helmet and once I was not. The time I did not I landed on my forehead after flying 40 feet through the air. My wife still remembers seeing it all unfold in front of her. I still have the scar on my forehead.
It's not a 'biker' thing. It's a choice I make every time I saddle up. It's not about image. It's about a choice. It's not stupid. It's a choice.
It's about comfort, and a feeling of the wind in your hair. It's the reason I ride a motorcycle in the first place.
Of course, if you feel the need to wear a helmet and all the protective devices, do so. It's your choice. I respect that. Please respect my choice to not wear it.

About the kids: since when is it a 3 year old's choice to do anything? Hell, we dress them, bathe them, feed them, and make every other decision for them. Why can't we decide whether they wear a helmet or not? Why does that all of a sudden become a nanny state decision?

Amen Brother, my thoughts exactly.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I FULLY agree with what you said Bob (and I have ridden with and without and share your obvious passion for it), up until the part about kids.

I suppose if you want to play the full-on libertarian view to it's extreme, you could argue that ANYTHING we want to do is our choice and shouldn't be regulated by the government. To extend that same principle to include ANYTHING you think is right for the children in your care doesn't pass the test for me.

I believe that if the child is in your care, then it should be exactly that... "care". I don't think it's heavy handed nor a slippery slope to regulate something as obvious and simple as requiring a helmet for minors.

Are you making your point from a persepective of what you would actually do or from a theoretical libertarian stand?

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I FULLY agree with what you said Bob (and I have ridden with and without and share your obvious passion for it), up until the part about kids.

I suppose if you want to play the full-on libertarian view to it's extreme, you could argue that ANYTHING we want to do is our choice and shouldn't be regulated by the government. To extend that same principle to include ANYTHING you think is right for the children in your care doesn't pass the test for me.

I believe that if the child is in your care, then it should be exactly that... "care". I don't think it's heavy handed nor a slippery slope to regulate something as obvious and simple as requiring a helmet for minors.

Are you making your point from a persepective of what you would actually do or from a theoretical libertarian stand?

Both. My son rode on my bike when he was in diapers. He would sit on the tank and hold onto the gas cap. We rode around the block and as far away as an hour. He loved and we loved it. Sometimes he rode between my wife and I. To say that I didn't 'care' for my son is laughable. I cared as much about him as I did myself and my wife.

I guess I am a 'full-on' libertarian. If it doesn't affect anybody but me (and my family) I believe the government has no say in it. My freedom should never impose on your freedom.
Who gets to decide what is 'right' for my family? At what point do we allow the government to override our decisions concerning our children? Medical treatment? Spanking? Verbal abuse? Helmets? Why should anyone have more say in these matters than me, the parent? I don't consider that extremism, by the way.

If you can prove to me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that wearing a helmet will always protect a person, and never do that person harm, I would wear it every time. No, probably not. I like riding without it too much (and I have done it both ways, so I know what it's like to wear one and not wear one). It's a choice, plain and simple.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both. My son rode on my bike when he was in diapers. He would sit on the tank and hold onto the gas cap. We rode around the block and as far away as an hour. He loved and we loved it. Sometimes he rode between my wife and I. To say that I didn't 'care' for my son is laughable. I cared as much about him as I did myself and my wife.

I guess I am a 'full-on' libertarian. If it doesn't affect anybody but me (and my family) I believe the government has no say in it. My freedom should never impose on your freedom.
Who gets to decide what is 'right' for my family? At what point do we allow the government to override our decisions concerning our children? Medical treatment? Spanking? Verbal abuse? Helmets? Why should anyone have more say in these matters than me, the parent? I don't consider that extremism, by the way.

If you can prove to me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that wearing a helmet will always protect a person, and never do that person harm, I would wear it every time. No, probably not. I like riding without it too much (and I have done it both ways, so I know what it's like to wear one and not wear one). It's a choice, plain and simple.

Wasn't trying to say that you don't care for your son. I was using "care" in the definition sense of "Caution in avoiding harm or danger", not personal feelings. Sorry if it came across differently.

I can't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that wearing a helmet will always protect a person and never do that person harm. That has been part of the age old arguement for wearing vs. not hasn't it? It's also true that you can't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that NOT wearing a helmet is safer. I believe that in most cases though, having the helmet is better. I'll make my own choices for myself but I'm not willing to play against the odds with my kids.

I'll say this... regardless of my own choices in life, I would hope to ensure my child lives to make it to the point that they are capable of taking everything I've taught them and making their own choices for themselves. I do believe that them wearing helmets will help to achieve that goal.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, fellow riders, Use your big head, ride safe and strongly consider the use of a helmet. Granted, in OK it's a choice, but many riders choose to not wear one only because of "Biker Culture" or trying to be cool when riding up to other bikers.

Riding without a brain bucket isn't what I'd consider to be the smartest thing to do. But to each his own. It's a personal decision.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom