Mounds PD shut-down?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just saw on the news - looks like the whole police department has been shut down. There only two paid officers and both were placed on suspension. All the reserves were told that they can't reserve under a commissioned officer if there are no commissioned officers in the department, so they've been told to stand down.

There's a sign on the door of the Mounds PD that says to call the Creek County Sheriff for non-emergency issues.

Mayor said something about allegations, but everyone is being tight-lipped. We recently transferred our kids over there and were looking to possibly move that way sometime.

Just curious if anyone knows the scoop.

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.fox23.com/content/crime/...-Police-Dept-shut/4oGgXjs0o02L_S_p0VFGvQ.cspx

A Green Country Police department shut down amid a corruption investigation.

FOX23 News was first to break the story on FOX23.com on Friday.

The Mayor of Mounds said last night the Mounds Police Department Chief and Assistant Chief were suspended.

The Creek County Sheriff’s Office confirms the agency, Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigations and the Creek County District Attorney’s Office is investigating missing money in the police department.

Around 1 pm Mounds Mayor Aaron Veale released an e-mail statement:

“It is with great sadness that I learned of the allegations against our town’s police department today. The town of Mounds will do everything we can to help in the investigation. As a result of this investigation against our police department, I want to inform the people of the Town of Mounds, OK that they will continue to be protected by the Creek County Sheriff’s department until such time as we can reinstate our officers or if necessary, replacements for the positions have been found. Let me reassure the people of Mounds that you are and will continue to be protected by the authorities.”

Outside the Mounds Police Department the patrol cars were parked and the door locked. The doors are routinely locked and citizens are asked to go through City Hall.

However, an employee at City Hall would not comment and locked the doors.
Friday morning

OSBI Spokesperson Jessica Brown told FOX23 News it is a lengthy investigation.

"It must be something bad if they (OSBI) are involved,” said Mounds Business owner Dale Robison.

Mayor Veale said he found out about the investigation from Creek County District Attorney Max Cook Thursday night. He said this gives his town a black eye and the news ripped out his heart.

Veale said the Chief and Assistant Chief were suspended but would not comment on whether it was paid or unpaid suspension.

"Oh boy,” said 25-year-Mounds resident Johnnie Weygandt.

Police Chief Chad Long did not answer his phone and no one answered the door when FOX23 News went to his home.

Creek County Sheriff investigator John Davis told FOX23 News the agency has been investigating the Mounds Police Department for several months about unaccounted money and items among the Mounds Police Department.

Sources tell FOX23 News the investigation involves several thousands dollars.

The only paid positions within the police department are the chief and assistant chief.

Mayor Veale said he did not want the reserves on the street without supervision so the police department is shut down and Creek County Sheriff’s deputies will be taking calls for Mounds.

There are about 10 to 15 reserves who volunteer their service.

"God has a way of setting what is wrong, right,” said Weygandt.

Captain Davis expects to turn over the investigation to the District Attorney’s office by early to mid week next week.

No charges have been filed and no one has been arrested.

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just surprised me when they said the nearest possible call is 15min. That says to me 15min or longer, that has to be coming towards a major emergency call. I may have got this wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom