Movie Red Tails

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No one here knows if the real 'Redtails' did not accomplish actions depicted in the movie.

Haven't seen the movie, and likely won't. The whole "Redtails" story has been propagandized (like a lot of history from that time) since the end of the war. So in case any of these things were in the movie, let's help set the record straight:

http://www.tuskegee.edu/sites/www/U...rmen/Nine_Myths_About_the_Tuskegee_Airmen.pdf

Not to take anything away from the accomplishments of good men who served their country in it's hour of need. I'm just no fan of re-writing history for ulterior purposes. All of the men who served in that conflict deserve our thanks and appreciation.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Mustang is simply doing the top part of an oblique loop. If you look at the background, you can see that the airplane is physically moving through space normally -- not hovering there doing a backflip. It is simply the camera orientation that makes it appear that way.

I'll take your word for it. I haven't seen the movie yet. In the very quick shot in the commercial it looks odd. It looks a little more Extra 300S than P-51D.

I love aircraft and especially WW2 aircraft. I will see it. Let me ask those of you that have seen it. Is this a quality movie that will still be talked about years from now as an aircraft movie a person needs to see, or will it be quickly forgotten?

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Haven't seen the movie, and likely won't. The whole "Redtails" story has been propagandized (like a lot of history from that time) since the end of the war. So in case any of these things were in the movie, let's help set the record straight:

http://www.tuskegee.edu/sites/www/U...rmen/Nine_Myths_About_the_Tuskegee_Airmen.pdf

Not to take anything away from the accomplishments of good men who served their country in it's hour of need. I'm just no fan of re-writing history for ulterior purposes. All of the men who served in that conflict deserve our thanks and appreciation.

So you must not have enjoyed Saving Private Ryan then huh, with all the propaganda and fictional story?

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are at least 51 Mustangs still flying, as I saw a formation of them in 2007 at Mustangs & Legends air show in Ohio.

I attended that one too. Peerless experience. There were more than 80 P-51s in attendance, but they only flew 51 of them at once due simply to airspace.

They said that everytime somebody turns over a Merlin, it costs $10,000. It was an 'expensive' experience for those who flew in, but it was awesome.

i40.tinypic.com_tp4p.jpg

A 'real-life redtail', a rare P-51C painted up like Lee Archer's mount:
i42.tinypic.com_24ctdmf.jpg

i39.tinypic.com_2wronc2.jpg

There was about $250 million dollars of P-51s sitting on the apron:
i42.tinypic.com_972xk2.jpg

My wife standing next to the ultra bone-stock P-38F 'Glacier Girl' that some rich yayhoos dug out of the ice a few years back:
i39.tinypic.com_35co0n4.jpg

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the first Mustang I got a ride in (and flew for a little while, too). N1451D.

Pretty cool flight, too...formation photo shoot.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v450_Hacker15E_n1451D.jpg

That Avenger looks like a fat ugly girl next to the Mustang and the Jug. ... of course, the Mustang is hotter, but the Jug will love you longer.

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok just got home from seeing it. First off if you expect a history channel perfection to detail movie...no. Has many flaws for us who "know". No the rest of the viewers couldnt care less about an H model flying with a D in 1944. Its alittle slow at first and has alittle to much beeboping by the crews. In other words seems alittle modern at times. It does get going and has the classic one bad ass fighter pilot in the movie thing going on. Has the girl who falls for him etc etc. All of that aside its a great movie. Its not on the same level as "Saving Private Ryan" to me but its a great movie. Lots of good air to air footage...some real some not. If you like WW2 planes...the era in general its a must see. And yes people will be talking about it in years to come. It will not be a monster block buster but it will make money im sure. Its for sure not a bad movie just dont have your "Im a pilot and a history buff" shirt on when you go see it. Enjoy that they are making 2012 films with P-51s and ME-109s etc in them. I enjoyed the HBO movie called "Tuskegee Airmen" and this is basically on the same level just more cool air air. If I was black it would be a MUST see for my family...Im white and I still think its a must see. This movie needs to be shown to every young black and white kid just to show what the blacks had to put up with and more importantly what they can do if they want to. GO SEE IT...I want more WW2 movies to come out and they will if we suport the ones that do.

rcrecelius

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
hope to see it this week. I am a big WWII airplane fan so Im sure I will enjoy it.

Speaking of WWII planes, any of you guys play Skies of Glory on iPhone/Android?

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Latest posts

Top Bottom