MP5 or AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyJuice

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
primarily a handgun guy, thats where most of my money goes. however lately ive been wanting to venture out and purchase a rifle. ive never owned a rifle before so im looking for something that will be fun out the box. it will be used occasionally at the range, some outdoor fun, nothing more. im looking at the gsg 522 and a handful of 22lr ar's. what are your guys suggestions? im also open to other 22lr rifle suggestions. thanks.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, if I was gonna get one of them I'd get a S&W AR in. this should probably go in the rimfire section.though, I thought you were asking questions about the actual platforms.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
would go with an AR platform, but if you do decide on a mp5 i would recomend the umarex hk mp5 22lr over the gsg. I handeled one at the gun show and it seems to be built very well.

J

Jckellison

I too like the looks of the Umarex, but the inner/outer barrel systems are set up to fail. The GSG will last you longer, plus the different parts kits available will let you convert any HK design you want.

The S&W M&P22 is also a bad mammajamma. I regret buying the Umarex/Colt instead of the Smith.

For some serious reviews/pro's/cons, you might troll RimfireCentral.com

pktrkt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looked at the Umarex and the GSG the GSG won out because of the reasons stated above. That being said the GSG was great until purchasing a 15-22. There is no other way to say it but the 15-22 is far better in every respect to either Umarex or GSG. It has a real barrel, trigger group is compatable to AR platform, etc... YMMV

BobbyJuice

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys, oh and norman your right, i probably should have posted this in the rimfire section. i was half asleep when i posted this thread lol. im leaning towards the gsg 522 especially since soonerstatepawn has one in stock right now.

rusty-c

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a Sig Sauer 522 and absolutely love it. It will eat anything you put through it and uses the readily available and inexpensive .22 conversion mags from Black Dog. Can't say enough good things about this gun.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't like the quality of the GSG-5 and traded mine off. I had a M&P AR-15 .22 and like it very much but,I got a trade offer I couldn't turn down. I have the Sig 522 and would rate it as best of the three.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A dedicated .22 upper for an AR is by far the best option. The CMMG mags are supposed to be good and the Black Dog mags as previously stated are numerous and very reliable. I'd say a 10/22 and one of the numerous drop-in stocks is second because of the massive amount of options out there for the 10/22. YOu can make it look like or do whatever you want (Butler Creek Steel-Lips mags are good to go - the Hot-Lips mags are ok, but don't last as long and you run into more QC issues).

The GSG is a good gun and since they got sued, the newly designed GERG 522 (also from ATI, just like the GSG-5) is actually an improved design. If you like the looks of the old GSG better than the new GERG, then you can get a parts-kit and swap out several parts to get it back to the GSG-5 looks.

If you want a bolt gun, then the CZ 452 is by far the best bolt-action .22 you can buy for anywhere near that price-range. The old Russian Target .22 you could get from CDNN was a great deal, but I don't know that you can still get them for anywhere near the price.

The Anschutz 54 is a good rifle, but used, they're still pretty high now days (you used to be able to pick up a used one for a reasonable price, but holy crap they've gone up now).

What's more important to you in this first .22 rifle? Accuracy? Reliability? Tactical-fun-factor? Ease and available of adding/changing parts/accessories?

Latest posts

Top Bottom