Mt. Lion Ruined Hunt!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah it happens everywhere... road hunting is a HUGE problem.... We just choose not to lease.... but our neighbor just canceled the lease with guys he had it leased with last year, they are not coming back because of us.... they set there stands on our fence line and were shooting into our pastures towards our food plots.... where I guess our out shop was their backstop...

potentially risking the lives of our cattle, calves, our children, us....
road hunting is just as bad....

I do not blame city people or locals it is both.... there are turds in all areas...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah it happens everywhere... road hunting is a HUGE problem.... We just choose not to lease.... but our neighbor just canceled the lease with guys he had it leased with last year, they are not coming back because of us.... they set there stands on our fence line and were shooting into our pastures towards our food plots.... where I guess our out shop was their backstop...

potentially risking the lives of our cattle, calves, our children, us....
road hunting is just as bad....

I do not blame city people or locals it is both.... there are turds in all areas...

the worst poachers in our area, as I've stated before is some kids of a guy that owns a drilling company.
they think they have "ownership" even though they don't own it.
We confronted one of them the other day at the local convience store, and he sure told us how he had "changed his ways".
My confrontational question was " when did you have this coming to Jesus moment as the last day of season, I chased him on my three wheeler after dark (lights off for me)while he was taking shots at a buck running across my wheat field. I couldn't keep up, and he lost me. He passed a vehicle at an intersection, which just happened to be the wife of the neighbor that knew him, so I called BS to his face.
He just kept apologizing, and got in his truck and left. A-hole.

But back on the secondary topic, nobody in any county has a "keep out the outsiders" policy.
Some have that policy on their property, but thats their right.
That being said Grant is one of the first counties those from the east and from the south have access to pheasant. With the wildlife dept decision to make the limits the same to help enforcment, Grant has been over run with road hunters.
One of GW's told us in a local land owner meeting that he ticketed a guy that had road hunted GC for 20 years and this was the first time he had been caught. Cheapest lease he ever had.........Now you might understand how this mindset among lots of "outsiders" has ruined the hunting in GC. Its nowhere where it used to be and getting worse. I spend as much time following suspected road hunters as hunting, and that sux. We all have a network in our area with cell phone #'s. If we hear a shot, several calls go out and if its not one of ours, we go looking. Screws up our hunt, but the Govenor makes a lot of money on the fines.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a shame the state can't afford more game wardens to help get this problem under control. Poaching is a big problem here in Bryan County as well. Several bucks were found here last year beheaded and dumped in a ditch along a couty road.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a shame the state can't afford more game wardens to help get this problem under control. Poaching is a big problem here in Bryan County as well. Several bucks were found here last year beheaded and dumped in a ditch along a couty road.

Same has happened in our county.
BTW, I list my home as Ponca City, but live in Osage county and own land in GC.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruined hunt? You have a memory and a story that'll last you the rest of your life. And when the Bubbas have killed the last lion, and cut down the last tree, you'll still have this.

This is why they call it hunting, and not killing. CB

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same has happened in our county.
BTW, I list my home as Ponca City, but live in Osage county and own land in GC.

this brings up another questions i had... We have talked about buying a piece of land out there for hunting instead of leasing for a while and have ran into some others who have done the same. Well like u we wouldnt live there so would we still be under the out of town poser banner eventhough we would be a GC land owner???

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this brings up another questions i had... We have talked about buying a piece of land out there for hunting instead of leasing for a while and have ran into some others who have done the same. Well like u we wouldnt live there so would we still be under the out of town poser banner eventhough we would be a GC land owner???

My great grandfather settled on 40 acres in what was to be GC during the great land run. Bought lots of others land as they couldn't stand the droughts, floods, wildfires, Indian raids, etc. Bought them for a train ticket back to St Louis.
Guess my roots are there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom