Multi gun / 3gun at USSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok.... I gotta sort of agree with Jessey. We have got to stop thinking of 3-gun as tactical training or tactical practice. It is a game. More like chess then actual combat. Let's do what is fun. There are 8 matches a month within 3 hours of OKC that use a pistol. No 343 has it right, or I will even take it a step further and say let's do okc 3-gun on odd months and USSA 3-gun on even months. We can tailor the matches to be heavier on one of the three guns each match.

Josh, shoot me an email at [email protected] and let's see if we make get this thing to be a joint match, just rotating, or something.

I smell awesomeness coming soon to a range near you.

M

I absolutely see your point of view. However, the question wasn't about 3-gun being tactical training. The question was why did one of the two gun need to incorporate a pistol. A rifle/shotgun match just doesn't make sense from my standpoint.

Mike, I understand your purpose of having a 3-gun match at OKCGC is to practice for larger matches. This has become evident with your addition of the long range stuff. Even more evident with your reasoning for adding it (this is stuff you will see in the larger matches). There is nothing wrong with that of course. However, that just isn't the case with most of us.

Josh, you absolutely are on the right track of doing a pistol/rifle match one month, pistol/shotgun the next and 3-gun after that. Several people have posted in your post with different ideas. They each have their reasons. I suspect a couple are to ensure their matches aren't affected in some way. Mine is solely to have an opportunity MONTHLY to enhance my skills with my pistol/rifle/shotgun.

In the end, I assume you have to consider what will bring people to your match every month. The shotgun Pro-Am is a fine example. It might be a good idea to think back about all the people that stated they would make your Pro-Am match if the shotty was added. How many are actually showing up at that match now? Just food for thought.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree to a point again, except about 70% o the folks that have shot my matches have signed up for or have already shot a large match this year. You know you are one of the amigo's, but I am not convinced about your reasoning. The high plains was a perfect example. Most folks that shoot our every so often 3-gun match were there. That is considered a major match. The addition of long range is because it is a part of 3-gun and rifle matches (most call them carbine matches). I just saw the part about it is a chance for you to enhance your skills with.... Isn't that what practice is for? :)

The point I was trying to make is that there are no self defense or tactical scenarios in 3-gun. The idea of your AR sitting on your table, loaded and your pistol loaded in your holster is a very unlikely scenario..... And if anyone should know, it should be you that there are no reshoots in the stage of life! :)

anyway, I don't care what ends up being scheduled, just as long as it's shooting.

And 1 more thing... Be nice or we will only let you shoot each stage once during a match like the rest of your squad! Bwahahahahahahaha

mike

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL! You are absolutely correct. There are no re-shoots in life! Sometimes, you actually come face-to-face with evil and get just one chance to deal with it.

I can say I use EVERY match as an opportunity to evaluate my skill set and change what doesn't work.

I agree to a point again, except about 70% o the folks that have shot my matches have signed up for or have already shot a large match this year. You know you are one of the amigo's, but I am not convinced about your reasoning. The high plains was a perfect example. Most folks that shoot our every so often 3-gun match were there. That is considered a major match. The addition of long range is because it is a part of 3-gun and rifle matches (most call them carbine matches). I just saw the part about it is a chance for you to enhance your skills with.... Isn't that what practice is for? :)

The point I was trying to make is that there are no self defense or tactical scenarios in 3-gun. The idea of your AR sitting on your table, loaded and your pistol loaded in your holster is a very unlikely scenario..... And if anyone should know, it should be you that there are no reshoots in the stage of life! :)

anyway, I don't care what ends up being scheduled, just as long as it's shooting.

And 1 more thing... Be nice or we will only let you shoot each stage once during a match like the rest of your squad! Bwahahahahahahaha

mike

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL! You are absolutely correct. There are no re-shoots in life! Sometimes, you actually come face-to-face with evil and get just one chance to deal with it.

I can say I use EVERY match as an opportunity to evaluate my skill set and change what doesn't work.

Man you must be making changes all of the time.

Where is that Yuer Ruong guy now? I am sure he will have some input on the perfect match.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Josh you should also take into consideration that there are a bunch of avid 3 gun shooters in Missouri, Kansas, and Arkansas. People will travel for a good 3 gun match because it is that much fun and there just aren't enough matches in all areas. We have a few guys venture up to the OKC match from DFW. I am sure you can/will attract shooters from out of our regular cirlce of pistol match shooters if you put on a good 3 gun match that is structured similar to the major matches.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I absolutely see your point of view. However, the question wasn't about 3-gun being tactical training. The question was why did one of the two gun need to incorporate a pistol. A rifle/shotgun match just doesn't make sense from my standpoint.

Josh, you absolutely are on the right track of doing a pistol/rifle match one month, pistol/shotgun the next and 3-gun after that. Several people have posted in your post with different ideas. They each have their reasons. I suspect a couple are to ensure their matches aren't affected in some way. Mine is solely to have an opportunity MONTHLY to enhance my skills with my pistol/rifle/shotgun.

In the end, I assume you have to consider what will bring people to your match every month. The shotgun Pro-Am is a fine example. It might be a good idea to think back about all the people that stated they would make your Pro-Am match if the shotty was added. How many are actually showing up at that match now? Just food for thought.

:werd:

I don't really like the pro-am handgun that much, wouldn't have shot it again after the first one I went to if Jeff hadn't shoved a shotgun in my hands, we all know the result wife bought me a new 930spx. Shotty to handgun and rifle to handgun transitions in stages may not be perfect due to range safety considerations, but if it's a pure gamers event I doubt I will attend often.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wife bought me a new 930spx.

Nice! Does she have a sister?

but if it's a pure gamers event I doubt I will attend often.

3 gun is about the farthest you can get from gamieness in my opinion. Of course everyone tries to figure out the fastest/best way to shoot stages but there is just so much to remember with the reloads, transitions, shooting postions, etc that it doesn't feel like a fast paced shooting competition like the ProAm or USPSA at all. Especially on those stages that take 40-60 or more seconds. To me it is all about shooting your favorite 3 guns in ways you never have before and getting very proficient with those 3 guns.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:werd:

I don't really like the pro-am handgun that much, wouldn't have shot it again after the first one I went to if Jeff hadn't shoved a shotgun in my hands, we all know the result wife bought me a new 930spx. Shotty to handgun and rifle to handgun transitions in stages may not be perfect due to range safety considerations, but if it's a pure gamers event I doubt I will attend often.

Does this mean that we can't be freinds anymore? Lol... I gamed the crap out the shotgun portion of the proam this month!

In my own defense, the proam is the only time that I can really figure out a productive way to game anything in a match. I can't be sure but I suspect that gaming might be part of the stage design in proam shotgun?

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does this mean that we can't be freinds anymore? Lol... I gamed the crap out the shotgun portion of the proam this month!

In my own defense, the proam is the only time that I can really figure out a productive way to game anything in a match. I can't be sure but I suspect that gaming might be part of the stage design in proam shotgun?

You and Mitch both!

Nice! Does she have a sister?

Yes she has 3 sisters she is the oldest of 8 kids... One is married popping out kids and lives in a shtetl just 7 miles from Gaza, the other is married popping out kids and lives in BFE Missouri.

The 3rd sister is 16 and will turn out just like the other 2, white trash trailer park material. My wife was the only succesful one of the bunch.

You wan't the teenager? She is easily impressed by flashy cars a pocket full of money from what I hear.

Just an FYI her mom and stepdad have close ties to the Branch Davidians, as well as the militia group McVeigh and Nichols were members of. My wife got the hell out when she turned 18, afraid the others aint so bright. Too bad too because she has a 5 year old 1/2 brother she got to meet for the first time who could have a chance if his parents would drop off the face of the earth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom