Muzzle loader starts this weekend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I love my smokeless muzzle loader every time I read a story about having to completely clean between shots, I remember how much a PIA it was when I had one of those kinds.

Just curious, how many shots are you getting before you see a difference in loading or accuracy?

With this new barrel and my technique, I can get about 15 shots before I have to wipe (run a wet patch down bore), not clean but just wipe. That's using real BP, spit for lube, cotton linen for patch and a roundball.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Just curious, how many shots are you getting before you see a difference in loading or accuracy?

With this new barrel and my technique, I can get about 15 shots before I have to wipe (run a wet patch down bore), not clean but just wipe. That's using real BP, spit for lube, cotton linen for patch and a roundball.

Can't speak for Dennis, Bassin, or 24/7, but when I was doing a lot of experimenting with different powders, loads, bullets, sabots, etc, I might shoot 75 times each day. I'd run a patch down the barrel at the end of the day, and it would come back with a hint of gray where the patch touched the rifling. Powder fouling is not an issue with the Savage from what I can tell. The only fouling issues come from plastic being stripped from the sabots due to speed. A lot of Savages were cussed and sold because of this plastic problem too, unnecessarily. Savage's recommends cleaning when accuracy starts to decline......who knows how many shots that might be???? I'm not sure, but I like it.......my Savage stays loaded from one year to the next, and is my first sight in shot, and rarely have to adjust anything. Think this is year 8 with mine.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Can't speak for Dennis, Bassin, or 24/7, but when I was doing a lot of experimenting with different powders, loads, bullets, sabots, etc, I might shoot 75 times each day. I'd run a patch down the barrel at the end of the day, and it would come back with a hint of gray where the patch touched the rifling. Powder fouling is not an issue with the Savage from what I can tell. The only fouling issues come from plastic being stripped from the sabots due to speed. A lot of Savages were cussed and sold because of this plastic problem too, unnecessarily. Savage's recommends cleaning when accuracy starts to decline......who knows how many shots that might be???? I'm not sure, but I like it.......my Savage stays loaded from one year to the next, and is my first sight in shot, and rarely have to adjust anything. Think this is year 8 with mine.

I haven't shot nearly as much as Okie, but I haven't had difficulty in loading or diminished accuracy. I started with good sabots, and that is key to accuracy and not melting plastic in the barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom