Muzzle loader starts this weekend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm using my .40 flintlock. 60gr, patched RB.

Attachments

• 20140923_130711.jpg
    20140923_130711.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 129

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Test fired the Ruger 77/50 this morning. 100 grains of Triple 7 and 290 gr Barnes Expander Spit-Fire TMZ. 3" high at 100 yards and about 3 1/2" low at 150 yards. I was able to hit a one gallon milk jug every time anywhere from muzzle to 200 yards. Any miss or lost deer at this point will be all my fault and not the gun's.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah it sucks actually.
I tried spit patching with the TC pads but had issues with not being able to get it dry enough and fouling the powder. I guess I could squeeze out as much of the stuff off those pads before using them though.

I'm talking about a dry, clean patch and literally spitting on one side of it. Not a big spit, but enough to wet the patch. Then run that wet side through, then turn it over and run the dry side through. You can then run a second dry patch through if you want.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my smokeless muzzle loader every time I read a story about having to completely clean between shots, I remember how much a PIA it was when I had one of those kinds.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Test fired the Ruger 77/50 this morning. 100 grains of Triple 7 and 290 gr Barnes Expander Spit-Fire TMZ. 3" high at 100 yards and about 3 1/2" low at 150 yards. I was able to hit a one gallon milk jug every time anywhere from muzzle to 200 yards. Any miss or lost deer at this point will be all my fault and not the gun's.

What kind of optics were on it?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my smokeless muzzle loader every time I read a story about having to completely clean between shots, I remember how much a PIA it was when I had one of those kinds.

Yup and I've been saying I'm buying a MLII for I don't know how long..
I absolutely hate muzzle loaders!!!!
Maybe next year.

My memory's as well.

I think the cleaning of them for me anyway was more of the location than the actual cleaning.

In the bathroom at the tub, down on my knees with hot water coming from the faucet to heat the barrel, wash it, allow the heated barrel to dry, etc was my main issue.

If I had some place to do it over a propane stove outside to heat water, with some tunes in the background, and a container designed to hold the barrel, lots of room for parts, I could get back into the BP probably.

Latest posts

Top Bottom