Muzzleloader choices?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. I still have the last load from last year in there and will use it as my first shot. No corrosion either. :D

the A$$ behind the counter at Bass Pro told me shooting smokeless powder during muzzleloader was illegal. I can't find anything about it in the regs. Anybody have any insight?
Bass Pro doesn't carry any smokeless MZ's, just FYI.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the A$$ behind the counter at Bass Pro told me shooting smokeless powder during muzzle loader was illegal. I can't find anything about it in the regs. Anybody have any insight?
Bass Pro doesn't carry any smokeless MZ's, just FYI.

He is probably the same idiot at Bass pro that told me there is no difference in a .223 and 5.56.
Yes it is legal.
Legal Means of Taking

Muzzle loading rifles, shotguns or pistols: .40 caliber or larger rifle or pistol, or 20-gauge or larger shotgun, firing a single slug or ball that is loaded from the muzzle.

They don't mention smokeless powder as in the past, rules quoted a bunch of legal jargon that was confusing.
The only requirement in Ok is that it loads from the muzzle.

I have asked them several times in the past about why they don't sell the Savage Smokless MZ, and they all came up with the story that their Lawyers told them that if people find out that they can use smokless powder in a Savage, then it must be OK to use it in any other MZ.

I have more to say about the people that spew this crap, but I don't want to get banned.

The beauty of the Savage is that it can be taken to other states that only allow black powder, or its substitutes(legal term, as smokeless powder is a substitute for black powder) and can be used with some of the pellets and so on. Its drilled and tapped for a scope, or if the state doesn't allow scopes, the provided sights work just fine.

The perfect all around gun.

AND! with the higher velocity, a person on a budget can use this during MZ season and regular rifle season. I have taken deer at 175yds and don't have a problem with 200

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Knight vision from sportsman's guide..I got it for a little over 200. I like it so far and plan on carrying it all next week. I researched it. I know that knight has gone out of business but you can get good deals on their guns and they are still making accessories for their guns. Sportsman's guide put in the 209 breech plug in my vision. No need for the red discs. They send it right to your door. I ordered on a Monday morning and got it on Thursday.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...muzzleloader-mossy-oak-break-up.aspx?a=516644

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see a lot of recommendations for the Savage, but I noticed the other day at the local shop that there were some Savage's, and beside them were some Remington's, I think something along the lines of a 700. I haven't researched them yet, but are the Rem.'s about the same as the Savage's as far as range, smokeless, etc.? The one, and probably only reason, I would want to exceed $300-350 range, is the possibility of out-of-state hunts down the road, as most of my hunting here in-state will probably be limited in range with a muzzleloader (as well as not as important if they don't get in range compared to another state hunt).

Seems like Remington did produce some smokeless muzzleloaders, but did not get them right. Lots of problems if I recall correctly. Having said that, I can't find anything on the net about it, so it may have been another maker. I know there was an attempt a few years ago that did not go well.

However, though it's too late for this year if you want to do it, here is a very viable alternative:

http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/

I had planned to do this for this season. Got the NEF receiver and forend with a 12 ga barrel, but I bought a house instead. Maybe next year. CB

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Legal Means of Taking

Muzzle loading rifles, shotguns or pistols: .40 caliber or larger rifle or pistol, or 20-gauge or larger shotgun, firing a single slug or ball that is loaded from the muzzle.

They don't mention smokeless powder as in the past, rules quoted a bunch of legal jargon that was confusing.
The only requirement in Ok is that it loads from the muzzle.

That's how I read it. Good to know. I plan to upgrade after season this year. Definitely going smokeless.

Latest posts

Top Bottom